cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Configure Solution Manager for 1.Download SuppPacks 2. Monitoring 3

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

We recently upgraded to ECC 6.0 and installed Solution Man., very vanilla. Basically just to get the Key to do the upgrade with.

I would really appreciate it if someone could share any documentation that would provide guidance on how to now further configure SolMan for the following

1. Monitor our Landscape which comprises of ABAP ECC (java is installed though not actively using), and SAP BI 7.0

Sandbox, Dev, QAS and Prdn for BOTH ECC & BI

2. Download Support Patches from SAP Marketplace (currently we have had to donwload the long way with download manager creating a message to get them apporoved whew... this is work..)

3. Add messages to SAP Market Place (thru SolMan)

4 Possibly monitor security and manage userids etc (if possible)

And if there is functionality that will make the BASIS experience better I would definitely appreciate it. We don't need the help desk as we already have it ,but, we may take advantage of Project documentation

I would really really appreciate it if someone could advise

Kind Regards & Thank You

Maria

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

With solution manager you can definitely do a world of things, below is a list inclusive of the features you wanted:

1. Dowload SP-Stacks, etc - you will have to configure Maintenance Optimizer for this (MOPZ).

2. Monitoring - you can monitor your ABAP and JAVA stacks using the monitoring features of CCMS which is embedded in Solution Manager, please have a look at the monitoring setup guide (for NW04S) in the Service Marketplace. Basically, it uses agents such as SAPCCMSR for JAVA Stacks and SAPCCM4X for ABAP stacks.

3. You can also configure availability monitoring using th same guide as above - this uses the CCMSPING tool.

4. You can monitor your business processes using the BPM/BPMon features of solution manager - you will also get this guide in http://service.sap.com/solutionmanager.

5. You can scheule your earlywatch alerts (EWAs) in solution manager system - have a look at the following link for this:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e0f35bf3-14a3-2910-abb8-89a7a294...

6. You can also have DBACOCKPIT on your Solution Manager system and have it tomonitor backups, etc on your satellite systems. For thsi have a look at SAP notes 1028624, 1025707 and 1027146 (and the DBACOKPIT guide in SAP Note 1028624).

Hope this is helpful. Kindly award points if useful.

Thanks, Dibya

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank You Dibya...

I have alot of documentation to filter thru now.

Your input is really appreciated!

maria

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Does anyone have any experience with installing solution manager on 32 or 64bit OS?

I was not aware , but our consultants last year installed solution manager (June 2007) on 32bit OS with 16G , and sql 2005,

Does anyone have any information on if there are limitations with installing on a 32bit or 64bit OS.

We are just in the inital stages of configuring SolMan, for SupPatches, EWA, RFC to Marketplace etc...

In future we do plan to use SolMan for monitoring our landscape as well as some of the other 'stuff' that is offered within SolMan.

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Does anyone have any experience with installing solution manager on 32 or 64bit OS?

SolMan should be installed on 64bit with Unicode.

> I was not aware , but our consultants last year installed solution manager (June 2007) on 32bit OS with 16G , and sql 2005,

The problem is that the system will not be able to leverage the memory for a single process. You may run into problems when e. g. activating BI cubes because of the 32bit limitation.

If you're "just started" I highly suggest to re-install on 64bit or migrate your current system to 64bit ASAP.

Markus

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

activating BI info cubes? not aware of this thru SolMan.

I had the same gut feeling that we SHOULD take the time out and do the migration to 64bit on SolMan.

Thank YOU Markus.

Do You have any supporting documents from SAP regarding OS? Or other specific issues.

Maria

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok, just in case I get the go ahead to move to 64bit, Does anyone have the reference for the documentation for Installation of SolMan? or would it be the same as installing NW guide?

I was hoping it was separate...

maria

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check this note:

996600 - 32 Bit platforms not recommended for productive NW2004s apps

If you have a relative new hardware for that instance, it´s certainly 64bit enabled, so you can take a backup of the system and migrate to 64bit without any loss of data:

960769 - Windows: Migration from 32-bit to 64-bit (x86_64)

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maria,

1) For this you'll have to connect all your systems that you want to monitor to SolMan. You can maintain these system in SMSY manually or connect your SolMan with a SLD who will do this automatically.

2) Maintenance Optimizer needs to be configured for this (check the IMG of SolMan)

3) Here you need the Service Desk functionality (also check IMG of SolMan)

4) Central User Admin (CUA) can be used for this. This is not a typically SolMan specific functionality, so can also be done on another system.

Hope this helps already!

Best regards,

Roel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

i think what you need is:

[Monitoring Setup Guide|https://websmp101.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000558242008E.PDF]

Hope it helps.

Regards

Benjamin

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

WOW! Thank You one and All, I will take a look at these suggestions and see how far I can get, I hope that if I can come back with more questions You guys could help!

maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

2. Download Support Patches from SAP Marketplace

For this, you need to configure maintenance optimizer, please refer to below:

http://service.sap.com/support-infrastructure

->Maintenance Optimizer

->SAP Tutor on Maintenance Optimizer

Cheers!