cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple DB instances: Any limitations?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see in the DBM documentation that DBM can manage any number of internal and external databases. Except for the physical and practical limitations on a server, are there any theoretical maximum number of MaxDB instances which can be created on a server?

Setup: SAP Content Server on Win 2003 Server

Any feedback appreciated. Thanx.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Syver, welcome to the SCN!

No, there aren't any build-in limitations for the number of instances on one server.

Anyhow, there may be some aspects to keep in mind:

- a DBNAME has to be unique per server, so you will need to have a good naming scheme to know one instance from the others.

- when you upgrade the highest installed software version, then you will have to stop all other instances, since all of them share the same dependend path of the installation. This independend path always containst the highest version of the database software and is downward compatible.

- even small databases do need some resources (CPU, memory, disk space). So overloading a database server with too many instances may not be the best thing to do performance wise.

- with an increasing number of instances on a single server this server becomes more and more a single-point-of-failure. So from risk-management point of view, it may be better not put all instances on one machine.

Just as an example: on the Laptop I work with I've two Oracle instances and 7 MaxDB instances and no problems due to that setup.

I hope that answers your question.

regards,

Lars

Edited by: Lars Breddemann on Sep 24, 2008 10:08 PM

Edited by: Lars Breddemann on Sep 25, 2008 11:55 AM

TYPO: it's the INDEPENDENT path that gets updated with the upgrade of the highest installed version. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

Answers (0)