cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface MS-Excel to Universe in BOE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone know how do I interface MS-Excel spreadsheet to a universe on BOE ? This include on how do I setup the ODBC connection on the PC on where the MS-Excel is residing.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to create the DSN for the MS Excel sheet on the server where the Designer is residing.

After creating the DSN following are the steps to create the Universe of the Excel.

To Creating a new universe from scratch with MS Excel

1. Select File > New

2. Click the New button if you want to define a new connection that is not listed in the drop-down list.

3. Then a new window for connection will appear. Click Next

4. Select the second option called u201CGenericu201D.

5. Select u201CGeneric ODBC Datasourceu201D

6. Select ODBC drivers and click Next

7. Name the connection and from the drop down list of the Datasource select the new DSN which you created for MS Excel and test the connection.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response guys. I basically need to set up ODBC connection to an exixting universe on a different server where i will be able to access the tables in the Universe.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raymond,

I guess we cannot create a DSN to the existing Universe on machine 1 and then later use that DSN from machine 2.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You could make exact same universe connection on the other server and then use this connection in your new universe.

You would get to see all the tables used in this (old) universe.

If you want to copy the exact whole schema, you could select the required tables from the schema and paste it to the new universe OR export the same universe to the new server and select the new connection.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jay.

amrsalem1983
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the MS-Excel spreadsheet should be reside on the BO server itself or on somewhere which is accessable by the BO server, and you have to make sure of that.

then you create an ODBC connection for this MS-Excel spreadsheet using

Control Panel->Administrative tools -> Data Sources (ODBC)

SYSTEM DSN, click ADD

then select the MS-Excel driver (*.xls)

give it a name, and select workbook

now you have created the ODBC connection, you should be able to create a universe based on this ODBC connection.

good luck

Amr