cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI 3.0 Installation Problem: no central managment server running

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I am totally new to BO our company just purchased the application and I have installed XI 3.0 on one of our server. I have setup the DB and the installation finished successfully. However I can't find CMS anywhere on the server. It seems like all the other XI 3.0 components are there Business view manager, central configuration manager, etc. they are all in the program list.

The only thing I didn't install is Tomcat. In Central configuration Manager ther Server Intelligence Agent is running. When I try to connect to the server in Business view Manager I receive the following error "The system servername cannot be contacted, but there is no Central Managment Server running at port 6400."

During the installation for "Web Application Server" part I checked the "other" option since I want to use IIS. I have a feeling I need to do some type of post configuration for IIS? Where do I perform this?

Our setup is:

Window Server 2003 SP2 with all the latest window updates

The latest XI 3.0 (I downloaded it from the product page)

My questions are:

1. Does XI work with IIS at all?

2. Do I need to install Tomcat and run some kind of connector to have IIS work?

3. What am I missing for my XI 3.0 it seem the core component is missing (CS)?

Edited by: Amy Williams on Sep 24, 2008 11:18 AM

Moved from Xcelsius forum to BOE Administration

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The answer to your question would be "BusinessObjects Enterprise requires a Java web application server to process the server-side scripts that make up web applications. You can install the

Tomcat application server during the BusinessObjects Enterprise installation, or use a supported third-party web application server and Java Development Kit (JDK)."

I am quoting this from Page 70 in BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.0 Deployment Planning Guide. For configuring IIS web server to your web application server, please refer BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.0 Enterprise Installation Guide.

Review the online BusinessObjects Enterprise supported platforms document for information related to supported web application server and JDK release versions, patch levels, or caveats: http://support.businessobjects.com/documentation/supported_platforms.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Srikalyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I finish reading the deployment guide for Web application servers and IIS server is not listed. So I take it that IIS is not supported. However after reading the manual it seems that XI 3 use a Java SDK to run the web part.

1. Can I install the Java SDK separately? If so can I config the Java SDK to work with IIS?

The reason is we have IIS install and running on the server right now. If it is possible we do not want to run IIS and Tomcat on the same server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just an update I have uninstalled XI 3.0 and reinstalling XI 3.0 now but this time I am doing a custom install hoping it will give me more options to tweak the installation.

I am stuck on the "Select Web Application Server" part again. I don't want to use/install Tomcat spplication server on my server. On the drop down box there is no option for IIS. There is an option call "Other" what does this Other mean?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alan,

I think you misunderstood what the others said.

As of now, you cannot use IIS as a web server for XI 3.0. i.e. the .NET WCA (web component adapter) is not available in XI 3.0.

The only option is to use a Java App server (like Tomcat). I believe the 'Other' option in the drop-down would allow you to use a different Java App server (i.e. different from Tomcat).

Thanks.

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand that IIS cannot act as the webserver for XI 3.0. As you have stated for other "Java web applet" are there any alternative other than Tomcat I can use? I am looking for some type of connector Java applet that will allow me to work like Tomcat.

Ex. A Java applet (not Tomcat) that will work with IIS to serve the web application server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You basically cannot work with IIS for XI 3.0.

Currently you will have to use a Java based web server (Tomcat, Websphere etc.)

The .NET WCA is scheduled for a later update (as far as I know).

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Correct Srinivas,

we expect the return of .net in 3.1 (current ETA early Q4)

Regards,

Tim

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You can use IIS with a redirector such as jakarta for tomcat. Weblogic and Websphere have their own plugins as well if you really want to front your java app with IIS. I'm of the opinion that less points of failure is better. The right reason to do something like this would be to seperate static and dynamic content, I've heard from customers if this is done correctly then performance of the web/app will increase dramatically (up to 4X). This is not documented internally yet(I'm working on it - no ETA).

Oh, when I saw this working properly, the redirector basically was set to process static content (like images, html, etc) with IIS and java processed the rest.

Regards,

Tim

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Allan,

In answer to your questions - XI 3.0 does not have an IIS interface right now. You will need to install a java application components in order to access the end user interface for viewing reports (InfoView), the report viewers, the web services and SDKs and the management console (CMC). The easiest way to do this is to choose the default Tomcat components in the installation and work from there.

If you left everything else as default, then you will have all the necessary application components installed to get the system up and running. It may just be that your CMS has not started for some reason. Try stopping and restarting the Server Intelligence Agent (SIA) in the Central Config Manager (CCM) - found in the Start/Programs/Business Objects group.

Once started, try clicking on the "Manage Servers" icon of the CCM (the one with a server and a check mark on it). This should allow you connect to the system and see which servers have started. IF you cannot connect, the next step would be to check the windows Event Log. See if the CMS service started OK. If it didn't the log should provide you with more information, which you can post here for further assistance.

If it did, and you still cannot connect, you may need to review your network firewall settings and/or your DEP status (see the properties panel for My Computer, choose the Advanced tab, select the Performance settings button, then the Data Execution Prevention tab).

Happy hunting.

Derek.

amrsalem1983
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i think you may need to post this at the Administration Forum

you will get more help there.

good luck

Amr