My client has raw materials in terms of rods say 100m length and 2mm dia.Say material number RM1 for the entire rod.
Now when they cut it say as per requirement they will cut 1.5 m out of it and still want to maintain it with same raw material number 'RM1' to the cut out part.. Left over is 98.5m.
Next they will cut 2 m out of it and still want to maintain same material number of the cut out part. Now my problem is what part number to give to the cut out part ( as it cant be same as parent parent part number)and how to create the bill of material??.
Only if I will be able to create the BOM for it say cut out part is RM1 again then only I can use it in some other assembly, I can use it in its higher level BOM!! But i am not able to think how to create this BOM first.
You can create a batch class with the following characteristics; Length and size. Next, you need to assign that batch class to your raw material (rod).
Now, if the cut out part of the rod is an assembly for your finished product and you need to keep a track of its production, you should do the following:
1. Create a new material e.g. cut rod (semi-finished)
2. Assign the same class (with characteristics length and size) on the semi-finished product.
3. Create a BOM for the semi-finished product and assign the raw material rod in it.
4. Create a production order for the semi-finished product, confirm it and assign a batch to your semi-finished rod product. On each batch you can assign it's length and size uniquely.
5. Update the size and length on your raw material rod.
If you don't want to keep a track of the cut rod, you could just assign the batch class on your raw material rod and keep updating the size and length on it every time a part is cut from it.
Hope this helps,