cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Column Detail

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm doing my 2nd ever Crystal Report using the Visual Studio 2008 version. The report has 2 different types of detail lines, each with their own corresponding heading. I made two groups, two details and set conditional logic to determine which one prints for each type of data. This works great. But I need 1 (and only 1) of the details to do a "Format with multiple columns" type display with 2 or 3 columns of the data fields in each row of the dataset for this particular detail. I can't see a way to set "Format with multiple columns" for only 1 of the detail lines. I'm thinking there must be some way to do what I want (perhaps an array?) but I can't find any examples on the web or in the books I have. FYI I tried doing this task with a Sub Report for the multi column detail but I ran into problems with the headings, pagination, and using multiple datasets so I abandoned that approach. Could someone please offer some help?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I don't think it is possible to make one detail section with multi column and the other without. I think by using fake group you can get it. Try this

Create a formula like

whilereadingrecords;

true

Now insert a group on this formula as the multi column option can apply to group footer or we may not depending on the option that we have in section expert>Layout>Format Groups with Multi Column.

So place the fields that you dont want mulati column option in the group footer and see the preview.

I hope this may help!

Regards,

Raghavendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply but I'm not following it. I have many records in the 1st group/detail and many records in the 2nd group/detail. There's only one dataset and I differentiate between them by a record type. I'm printing 2 recordtypes in the 1st detail and 2 recordtypes in the 2nd detail. I have a simple formula in the Suppress for each group header and detail to determine which one prints fore each recordtype. This part is all working fine. I don't follow how I could put the formula in a group footer and make it work like above. Would I somehow bypass printing the 2nd detail and then make them all print in the footer? But when I look I don't see a "multiple column detail" option in my group footer? I'm very new to this tool but could I perhaps use a WhileReadingRecords or WhilePrintingRecords formula to NOT print each individual record in the 2nd group/detail and build them into an array (that looked like a multiple column detail) and then print out the array when I'm finished?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I mean you need to insert one more group using the formula that i hae mentioned and place the 2nd group detail fields in new group footer as this group will process for each record like detail and apply the same conditions to this group as you did for group 2.

Regards,

Raghavendra

Answers (0)