Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Cannot make -Xmx large enough in eclipse to analyse file

Hi

I have a series of 2.5+Gb heap files from my portal, I need to analyse the files but I find that the tool falls over with an out of memory error (Ironic or what!!)

I have increased the -Xmx parameter in the eclipse.ini to 840Mb but as soon as I increase it further eclipse won't start (JVM -1 error)

I have tried running this on a machine that has 95Gb memory, I hoped that would be enough but I get the same problem

can anyone offer me some help? Is there another parameter I should be setting? should I be using a different version of the JRE (I'm using 1.5016, when I tried to use anything else eclipse doesn't start)

I have a go live with this system at the weekend so I am under a lot of pressure to resolve the problems we are having, so any help is very much appreciated.

thanks

Marina

Former Member
replied

> I have tried running this on a machine that has 95Gb memory

Wow...

When using -Xmx, the VM needs a continues chunk of memory (if I remember correctly). So it depends on the other processes you run whether the VM gets all it needs. On my 32bit Windows box, I can usally say -Xmx1200m successfully.

To go larger, you need a 64bit machine (and a 64bit VM!). Our 64bit box has 8GB and -Xmx6g usually crunches the biggest dumps too.

Maybe run the Memory Analyzer without GUI:

MemoryAnalyzer.exe -application org.eclipse.mat.api.parse <path/to/dump>

Once parsed, you can open it again in the GUI.

Make sure you are using the latest version from eclipse.org. We had a regression which led to some performance issues.

Andreas.

Andreas.

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question