cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to develop using two NWDI

former_member189501
Participant
0 Kudos

We are going to start a development activity on a NWDI (Scenario 2+/3) il location A, so we will define here the SC, products and so on into that SLD, and we will create DC here using NWDS.

In order to be able to develop also when the NWDI A is down or not reachable (only in this case) we want to be able to develop also on a second NWDI in location B. But the "master" JDI will be that in location A.

Both the NWDI have the same patch level and the two networks are connected.

We read the thread :

(Problem Importing Workspace to another Distributed DTR)

We have some question on this scenario:

1) the two NWDI has different SLD settings, and so different prefixes and namespaces.

If we export the SC definition from the SLD in location A, also the prefixes reserved will be exported ?

Our worry is to create on location B a DC with the same name, but as the prefixes are different it will be see as different object to the NWDI in location A when we try to move it there and the merge will fail.

2) Which is the way to integrate the changes made in B into the location A ?

We have to export SCA file and then to check-in them into the same track used for the same SC on the target CMS and then solve the conflicts using the Integation view?

Are there a way to align the two DTR in auomatic way ?

3) What about the CMS tracks and CMS domain ? They are different on these NWDI. Which is the impact on the SCA files we will move manually?

It's necssary to align the CMS configuration between the wo NWDI ?

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I suggest you set up a high available Web AS cluster on which you run the SLD and NWDI, thus avoiding the hassle of having to synchronize two independent NWDI instances (if at all possible).

former_member189501
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for you info Pascal, but we cannot join in HA these two environments.

Regarding 2) I found the integation of different activities can be done with DTR command line utilities.

The other questions for me are still open. I'm not able to find nowhere a solution.

Any suggestion ?

regards and thansk in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

is there any technical reason for not having HA?.

Arul

former_member189501
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi we cannot use HA.

Location A is on at the customer site, location B is in my office. There is network connection but it's just for the project.

Sometimes happen the network is down or the location A is down.

THen we want to develop in location B and then move the developments to location A when it comes available again.

THe root of my question is:

how I can develop on my offices, in location B, the same "objects" object of mine as we have on location A ?

Do I have to set on my SLD in location B the same object server, name server and the same prefixes ('By Convention, 'Design Time Packages' and 'Development Component name') as they are on the SLD in location A ?

My worry is that due these settings the object I'm going to develop on Location B will be see as completely different objects after the import on location A, also if they have the same name.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mauro,

You do not need a full time connection with the NWDI server. You can check out all the code that you want to work on and then work offline.

former_member189501
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Pascal,

You mean to work on JDI on location A, then check-out and then check-in into JDI in location B ?

But what about the SLD prefixes ?

The object coming from location A will maintain his prefixes after the import on Location B ?

And If I modify this object on location B), how to integrate these changes on the JDI in location A) ?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, I mean to say that you do not need an extra NWDI + SLD to cope for unavailability of the platform, since you can work offline when NWDI is not available. Thus you might not need the NWDI at one of your locations and thus eliminate the hassle of keeping them in sync.

former_member189501
Participant
0 Kudos

thanks Pascal, your exprience is very usefull.

Anyway we more people will do the work, so I think it's better to use also the JDI in location B)

I'm thinking to do the following:

1) to export from the SLD in location A) the SC definition for the SC of interests, and to import them into the SLD in my premises

2) to check-out all the stuff from the JDI in location A) and to check-in it into the Jdi in location B)

At that point I will be able to work in B) on these objects.

But If create a new DC, I suspect it will be created with the prefixes of the SLD in location B) right ?

3) On the location B) i will create the SCA files.

It's then possile to do check-in of this SCA file on the JDI in location A)?

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mauro,

I think that offline development is one good option .

but given your scenario ( more developers at location B), what you are planning to do might work out well.

Arul

Answers (0)