Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready for input for infoObject

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

During query execution, when the dialog for selection value pops up, if no input is given for a field, the system checks for ":" value.

Bu the business requirement is that:

1. If the user leaves the input field blank, BI should evaluate the all the authorizations that the user has and display data accordingly.

AND

2.If the user inputs a particular value then BI should complete the authorization check as per the value from the input field.

For the point number 1. i've noticed that, if the input field is left blank, BI is checking for authorization value ":" is there a way to change this so that even if the input field is left blank, the system will display data according to the user's authorizations

eg-: for 0comp_code field, even if it is left blank by the user, the data should be displayed for all comany codes he is authorized for. (The ready for input option in Query designer should be selected)

Regards,

Prashant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasant,

I guess you are looking for Authorization Variables, When you create a variable, if you choose Process with Authorization, the variable is automatically filled with the values of the user's authorization. When the user opens a query, the data is selected automatically according to his or her authorizations.

Check out this one also, for info about Authorization Variables

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/44/599b3c494d8e15e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

&

This article on how to achieve it.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/4753ed83-0e01-0010-e186-f98413f8...

Regards,

Zaheer

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasant,

I guess you are looking for Authorization Variables, When you create a variable, if you choose Process with Authorization, the variable is automatically filled with the values of the user's authorization. When the user opens a query, the data is selected automatically according to his or her authorizations.

Check out this one also, for info about Authorization Variables

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/44/599b3c494d8e15e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

&

This article on how to achieve it.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/4753ed83-0e01-0010-e186-f98413f8...

Regards,

Zaheer

0 Kudos

Hey Zaheer, i get what you are saying about... infact i am already using the variables.

example: 0comp_code infoObject being secured.

available values- 0100, 0300, 0350

Now when an variable is used:

processing by authorization:

in the details tab for variable:

option 1: ready for input (checkbox checked)

When this option is selected, the user gets an input field for company code prompting him to enter the company code value. If he enters either 0100, 0300 or 0350 (incase multiple selection active, multiple values selected), and executes the query, the values in the input field( 0100, 0300, 0350) are compared against the authorizations the user has.

But if the input field for company code is left empty and the query is executed, the authorization value ":" is checked by default.

Question: Is there a way to change this so that if the input field is left empty and query executed, instead of checking for : value, the systems checks for users available options and displays records accordingly?

The option where , ready for input box check box is not checked is not useful to me, as the business requirement is:

Leave input fields empty but still get display of records, not only at summary level but also at detailed level which means a check on : value should not be carried out (despite not inputing value in the selection screen)

My concern is, is it default behaviour of the system to check for : value if input field left empty at query execution time?

Regards,

Prashant

0 Kudos

I have seen in few documents, for reasons of Performance, SAP always recomends to design a query to open with Summary Levels rather than an expanded or a opened drill down report.

':' (colon)

Allows access only to aggregated data (e.g., allows information on all Sales areas only on aggregated level u2013 not on particular sales areas)

My concern is, is it default behaviour of the system to check for : value if input field left empty at query execution time?

Based on the above logic to answer your your it will be an 'yes'.

You may check with an ABAPed to see where this logic is filled in the query. But if you change it, I think it will be a system-wide change.

AB

0 Kudos

Hey Arjun,

I dont think its the query which determines the default behaviour where the authorization COLON ":" is checked for if input field NULL. I believe its an SAP standard program for authorization check which does this. But i believe its a bad idea to alter any SAP program.

I was wondering, can we create a variable and process by customer exit where in the ABAP code could be of the logic:

if input field NULL process by all available authorizations for specific user

else if input field NOT = NULL, pick up the value from input field and compare it against authorizations available to user... is that a possibility?

Because thats the Business requirement:

If no values entered in input field(NULL), displays all records available as per users available authorizations

else

if input field value entered(NOT = NULL) compare input firld value against available authorization values for user....

Can the ABAPer write a code for this if variable is set to customer exit?

Regards,

Prashant

0 Kudos

My first two statements are two seperate statements. I put them together to reason the logic behind using ':' by SAP.

If no values entered in input field(NULL), displays all records available as per users available authorizations

You can use 'Authorization Variable Processing Type' rather than ask the ABAPer to develop something similar.

Why re-invent the wheel.

AB.