cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Dump analysis reorganization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

For the "security" reasons and some projects, I need to configure some logs not to be deleted for more then 30 days. We are on R/3 4.6C Oracle 9.2.0.5 and HP-UX 11.00

When I start st22 transaction in the selection part there are some of the ABAP short dumps, example:

if yesterday I had 3 dumps, the day before yesterday 4 ... Now I have two from yesterday 1 from the day before and so on.

Does anyone knows what is the problem? I have selected the Abap dump reorganization not to delete dumps older then 30 days. But after restart I

see again Abap reorganization is 7 days. Is there any profile parameter for

this?

I need all Abap dumps.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ruzica

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruzica,

As far as I am aware the ABAP dump reorganization program RSSNAPDL calculates the deletion date as

SY-DATUM - 7 (i.e. current date - 7). This means dumps that are over 1 week old would be removed from the system. In Basis 6.20, you can also reorganize short dumps from within ST22 via menu option Goto->Reorganize but I'm not sure if that exists in 4.6C. This option allows you to specify a different retention period for the short dumps. You would need to use this manual reorganization process in place of the batch version.

If there is requirement for you to keep some of your ABAP short dumps there is also an option in ST22 to allow you to keep them indefinately. When you see the list of dumps, you simply cursor select the required

dump(s0 and select menu option Short dump->Keep. Kept short dumps are not subject to reorganization until they are released again.

Gary Jackson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the information about the Keep short dump option. I'm just curious if there is a way of automatic schedule to keep all the dumps expample in hole 2006 year.

With the program RSSNAPDL I can place 100.000 Max.entries to be kept, but first do I have to set all the short dumps with Keep status?

Thanks again,

Regards,

Ruzica

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruzica,

The "Max.entries to be kept" input option does not include short dumps that have been marked as KEPT in ST22. The SQL delete statement in RSSNAPDL ignores short dumps marked as KEPT. In other words, you will need to mark short dumps as KEPT before you reorganize the short dumps otherwise you run the risk of losing them.

To automatically mark all short dumps as KEPT, I think you would need to write some bespoke code to set field XHOLD = 'X' in table SNAP or use batch input, for example.

Bear in mind that if you have a lot of short dumps, you will need very large amounts of space for table SNAP. In fact, some installations limit the amount of space that can be allocated to table SNAP just in case there are many short dumps in a short period of time due to a system error, for example. It is unusual to keep short dumps for long periods of time.

Regards,

Gary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

For me also it's unusual to keep short dumps, but our managers "need" to have all the logs and problems, and it is a demand from our internel revision and security department.

Thanks,

Ruzica