cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what does sync archive mean in nwdi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hii,

iam working on nwdi,, and have to do change the existing dc for this i have created project in inactive dc,,

then it showing a popup(sync development components) with some predefined dcs in that ,,,,

among them which dcs i have to select,,it is showing the dcs like com.sap.aii.proxy.framework,

com.sap.aii.util.msc and so on.

what does sync archives mean..

can anyone please help me out regarding this

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

snehal_kendre
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

As you know NWDI is used for multiple user development scenario.

so this means that at the same time no of users can do changes in no of DCs.

but when you check out any DC to edit, at that time NWDS fetches necessury dependencies from NWDI. and keep it as local. when you make changes it uses that local dependecies fro reference.

If you keep those local dependecies for a longer period of time. those become outdated. as may be somebody had made some changes in it.

so it asks for sync archive means fetching the updated information from NWDI.

Its always a better practice to sync sources befor making any change in DC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,,

thanks for the reply. but still i was not clear regarding this,

if sync archive means fetching the updated information from nwdi, then what is checkout,,checkout is also

fetching the data from nwdi,,

one more thing when we say sync archive apart from the dc we are working ,it also shows lot more dcs as i mentiionde,, do we need select them also or only the one which we need to change,, i think they are predefined dcs,,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sync Archives:

Step1: Before modifying the code on specific DC, first you have to make sure that the latest version is available. To do this you have to is sync the DC while right clicking and selcet the Sync option, this will get the latest cahnges from the DTR.

if sync archive means fetching the updated information from nwdi, then what is checkout,,

Checkout is some thing to fetch the code but this will not help you to get the latest.

****one more thing when we say sync archive apart from the dc we are working ,it also shows lot more dcs as i mentiionde,, do we need select them also or only the one which we need to change,, i think they are predefined dcs,,

Not required to Select all the dc's

More help Please refer these links which will give an over view of NWDI CMS,CBS,DTR and how it works:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005/helpdata/en/38/33eb9c3e1fe2409a9eba8246b933ca/content.htm

Thanks

Krishna

snehal_kendre
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

check out means nothing but you have marked the file to make changes.

consider scenario.

1. you created a project for a DC. & other one check out it

2. other one made some changes and check in.

3. now if you want to make changes and created an activity,. i.e. you checked out that project(its already created in your NWDS). means you just gave a ref. to NWDI that your going to make changes in it.

4. here as you have not sync your project, that means you are editing a local copy of DC(version same as that when you created a project).

but actually you have to make changes in fresh copy of DC. which is in NWDI not in your NWDS. thats why we need to sync archives.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,,

thanks for the response,, it really helped me in understanding the diff b/w checkout and sync..

can u tell me what happens in b/w various components in nwdi when we say . i mean moving of the developed objects b/w various nwdi components.(active workspace ,inactive workspace)

1.checkin an activity ,2.,activate an activity, 3.release an activity.

what to do remove or undo the changes(activity) we had done as part of the dc

do we say remove from client or what operation has to be done exactly.

will remove from client will remove the resources only from nwds or from inactive workspace

snehal_kendre
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

1.checkin an activity:- The changes made are pushed into DTR

2.,activate an activity:- The DC is build in the CBS under respective contained buildspace and if deployable, deployed on developmenrt server

3.release an activity. activity and source moved into consolidation.

what to do remove or undo the changes(activity).

If you checked in your activity then you wont be able to do anything.

but if activity is open then

right clik on activity and you'll get an option of revert. it remove all the changes. but after this recreate or sync the project for new copy.

and remove from client will remove the resources only from nwds .

Former Member
0 Kudos

hii,

remove from client means removing from the inactive workspace or from any other plcae

i had reverted the activity,deleted the dc from client in inactive workspace but still the dc that

i had created was visible in inactive workspace in dtr,,

doesit mean that once the dc was created under an sc,, it cannot be created from dtr,,

or is there any way to do this,,

snehal_kendre
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

remove from client means a local copy of project is removed from the .dtr folder(from your local machine).

If any activity of of DC is checked in, that means DC is created in DTR.

if you reverted the very first activity of DC which creates it. then DC is not going to be created in DTR.

if this is the case, and still you can see the DC in your inactive space then just reimport configuration