Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

R/3 4.5B with Oracle database 10g and Oracle client 9.2.0

Hi,

We're upgrading from 4.5B Oracle 8i -> ECC 6.0 Oracle 10g. Since we do not have a big downtime window to complete the required AIX kernel change, Oracle upgrade from 8i -> 9i -> 10g and also SAP release upgrade from 4.5B -> ECC 6.0, we're going to utilize two downtimes as follows:

Downtime 1: Oracle upgrade from 8i -> 9i -> 10g with R/3 4.5B_EXT 64-bit kernel. Production operation will continue in this state for nearly one week.

Downtime 2: SAP release upgrade from 4.5B -> ECC 6.0

Our production system also contains two dialog instances.

1. Since SAP supports 4.5B with Oracle 10g only for the purpose of SAP release upgrade as an intermediate state and since production operation will continue in this state of 45B/10g for nearly one week, what is the Oracle client version to be used for:

a. Database-Central instance

b. The two dialog instances

2. As per SAP note 521230, SAP kernel 4.5B_EXT 64-bit is linked with Oracle version 9.2.0, hence, we should be using Oracle client version 9.2.0 even though the database would have been upgraded to 10g. Is this interpretation correct?

3. Has any of you been in this intermediate state with R/3 45B, Oracle 10g and Oracle client 9.2.0? If yes, for how long and did you encounter any specific issue with regards to this.

Thanks.

PS: I've already reviewed all other posts in this regard but did not get exact answer I was looking for, hence, this post.

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question