cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R/3 4.5B with Oracle database 10g and Oracle client 9.2.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We're upgrading from 4.5B Oracle 8i -> ECC 6.0 Oracle 10g. Since we do not have a big downtime window to complete the required AIX kernel change, Oracle upgrade from 8i -> 9i -> 10g and also SAP release upgrade from 4.5B -> ECC 6.0, we're going to utilize two downtimes as follows:

Downtime 1: Oracle upgrade from 8i -> 9i -> 10g with R/3 4.5B_EXT 64-bit kernel. Production operation will continue in this state for nearly one week.

Downtime 2: SAP release upgrade from 4.5B -> ECC 6.0

Our production system also contains two dialog instances.

1. Since SAP supports 4.5B with Oracle 10g only for the purpose of SAP release upgrade as an intermediate state and since production operation will continue in this state of 45B/10g for nearly one week, what is the Oracle client version to be used for:

a. Database-Central instance

b. The two dialog instances

2. As per SAP note 521230, SAP kernel 4.5B_EXT 64-bit is linked with Oracle version 9.2.0, hence, we should be using Oracle client version 9.2.0 even though the database would have been upgraded to 10g. Is this interpretation correct?

3. Has any of you been in this intermediate state with R/3 45B, Oracle 10g and Oracle client 9.2.0? If yes, for how long and did you encounter any specific issue with regards to this.

Thanks.

PS: I've already reviewed all other posts in this regard but did not get exact answer I was looking for, hence, this post.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

2. As per SAP note 521230, SAP kernel 4.5B_EXT 64-bit is linked with Oracle version 9.2.0, hence, we should be using Oracle client version 9.2.0 even though the database would have been upgraded to 10g. Is this interpretation correct?

Yes. A lower Oracle client (use at least 9.2.0.7) can connect to the 10g database. This is true for CI as well as for the application servers.

My times of 4.5B are long gone - can´t state on any experience. I would open an OSS call and ask if you can run for a week and if you will get support in case there will be some database related problems - just to make sure you don´t run into major issues.

Markus

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi AC, Markus,

When did you update the Oracle client from 9i to 10g - before / after executing PREPARE or before / after ECC upgrade?

What was the Oracle client version when the ECC upgrade was running?

Did you encounter any issues related to Oracle client during the ECC upgrade?

Thanks.

Edited by: Satyam Satyam project team on Oct 10, 2008 9:20 AM

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can work 4.5 with 10g, from the application point of view there are no issues, but most of the monitoring transactions will dump (for example, the typical ST04) and no patches are available to solve the issues as 45B is not released for 10g.

> When did you update the Oracle client from 9i to 10g - before / after executing PREPARE or before / after ECC upgrade?

You install the oracle 10g instant client when you install the 10g database. It will be used by the BRtools. This means that you are running two clients, 9i for 45B kernel and 10g for BR tools.

If you configure properly your environment for 10g ad 9i you should have no issues.

The upgrade notes have all information, for example 836517 Oracle database 10g: Preparation for SAP upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi AC,

So, you were using your 4.5B production system with Oracle database 10g for nearly a month?

What was the Oracle client version you used during this intermediate state?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is correct, the client version I used during that time was 9.2 so far we did not encounter any functional problems in FI, SD, MM, HR, CO.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I have done the same about a year ago, upgrade from 4.5B to 6.0 and Oracle 8i to 10g using Oracle 9.2 client for the application server with no problem during a month.

It did gave me problems during Oracle Upgrade but the whole process is fast, It took me probably about 30 minutes (100 Gb Database) and some other 15 minutes for post upgrade (Oracle I mean). Mostly the problems were with OPS$ user not having all the security assigned but after you do the first one, then another is easy.

Hope this helps