cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative BOM component selection during MRP run.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PP Gurus,

The scenario is to pack one FG say 'A-1001' client is having three packing materials say 'Carton-101', 'Carton-102', and 'Carton-103'. All these three materials are having different prices. So that we can't merge all these into one material identifier. We created material BOM for 'A-1001' by taking all three packing material as BOM component.

The requirement is during MRP run if packing material 'Carton-101' is not available or partially available system has to consume that and for remaining required quantity it has to check 'Carton-102' and then 'Carton-103' plant stock. If suppose all three materials are not available then it has to generate PR for 'Carton-101' of 50% of requirement, PR for 'Carton-102' of 30% of requirement, and PR for 'Carton-103' of 20% of requirement.

Is it possible through PP module and in Make-to-stock Repetitive Manifacturing Scenario?

Please come back with your kind and prompt suggestion.

Thanks & Regards,

Abu Arbab

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use Discountined functinality, which is in the BOM

In simple discontinuation, the discontinued item 0010 (material M-1) is replaced with the follow-up item 0010 (material M-2) and 0010 (material M-3).

In the material master of material M-1, the discontinuation indicator is set to 1.

Refer F1 help from BOM

Rewards if helpful

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Abu,

As per my understanding, the SAP logic is like this: First Planning, then Doing.

This means that all MRP systems create requirements in advance, so that it would be enough time to cover them. It just doesn't make sense to check alternative items in warehouse automatically! Why? Because if the system has been set up correctly, it will give enough time to Purchasing department to supply the necessary items. Another aspect of this issue could be creation of too complex checking rules (if alternatives A and B are available, choose alternative B, because it has better characteristics), and problems like this are to be solved by people.

Of course, you could create one material master for all the alternatives (especially if their valuation is 'V').

You could create alternative BOMs (every BOM will include one of the alternative items).

But all this is some kind of compromise. And I don't know if it is good or bad, because on one hand you don't have fully automated process, but on the other hand - you've got control on the system by involving human attention to it ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

The requirement is during MRP run if packing material 'Carton-101' is not available or partially available system has to consume that and for remaining required quantity it has to check 'Carton-102' and then 'Carton-103' plant stock. If suppose all three materials are not available then it has to generate PR for 'Carton-101' of 50% of requirement, PR for 'Carton-102' of 30% of requirement, and PR for 'Carton-103' of 20% of requirement.

Is it possible through PP module and in Make-to-stock Repetitive Manifacturing Scenario?

Dear Abu!

We can do like this. In BOM of FG u declare the thing call Alternative Item. U set 3 material 'Carton-101' ,'Carton-102', 'Carton-1013' into same alternative group. In 1 Alternative Group have 4 seting for 'Carton-101' u set:

AltItemGroup XX

Priority 01

Strategy 1

Usage prob. 50

for 'Carton-102' u set:

AltItemGroup XX

Priority 02

Strategy 1

Usage prob. 30

for 'Carton-103' u set:

AltItemGroup XX

Priority 03

Strategy 1

Usage prob. 20.

Hope this one can help u.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thombre, Csaba, Tony,

Thanks for your reply. Like comment by Csaba Simple Discontinuation '1' is not possible for three materials. I tried all scenarios.

Like I made material master of carton-101 as discontinued material, given today's date as effective-out date and carton-102 as follow-up material. In material master of carton-102 when I tried to make it as discontinued and carton-103 as follow-up material but not succeeded due to system not allowing me. I tried Parallel Discontinuation also but the same result I got out of it. Any ways thanks for your reply.

Tony I tried scenario prescribed by you but it is not resolving my issue. Instead after MRP run system is dividing total requirement into three parts based on percentage Probability assigned to BOM components (carton-101, carton-102, and carton-103). Actually my requirement is to check stock for carton-101 first, if it is not available then carton-102 second, and if both are not available then carton-103 third.

Csaba I used SAP help links given by you and tried using Alternate Item Group as well as Discontinuation (Simple/Parallel both) but my purpose is not resolved. System is giving PR depending on Usage probability assigned to components in material BOM.

Thanks to all for your valuable input. Come back with solution again.

Thanks & Regards,

Abu Arbab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abu!

AS your requirement : "Actually my requirement is to check stock for carton-101 first, if it is not available then carton-102 second, and if both are not available then carton-103 third."

As I know, standard SAP can not do like this. When MRP run it only take priority number 1 it can't not auto take the second component for you. My client also get this problem and can not find any way.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

Trying to resolve the issue by some other solution/work around, will get back to you all soon.

Thanks & Regards,

Abu Arbab

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you can set these three material as a altenative group 01.In addition, you can modify the usage probability by using abap program after checking these three material's stock.

george shi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

Could you please explore more in this regard especially ABAP program that you are talking about in your last message.

Thanks & Regards,

Abu Arbab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abu,

Not sure if you have found a solution for your requirement, but i think the standard solution of alternate item group in BOM should meet most of your needs, but having said that... i think it might not meet all of your need as stated in your initial posting, just explore the same & carry out some tests.

Good luck.

Rgrds,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek and all,

I think MPN (Manufacturing Part Number) might be an option but not sure.

Please make the comments taking my last posts into consideration.

Thanks & Regards,

Abu Arbab

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abu,

Are the goods physically the same, or both price and products are different?

Thanks,

Csaba

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The goods and prices are different. Since it is MTS we are not using Variant Configuration scenario.

Thanks & Regards,

Abu Arbab

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I thought of the use of split valuation, but in case of physical difference between the products it is not applicable.

One of your requirement could be covered by alternative item scenario, but to check the stock of your raw materials (one after the other) cannot be solved as per my best knowledge (the mentioned discontinuation would be good in case of two raw materials, but three of them is too much to SAP...)

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/f4/7d2a9c44af11d182b40000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/f2/72e8ce702111d3b4f20004ac160649/frameset.htm

Regards,

Csaba