cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL 2005 replication and SAP B1

Marshall-Jones
Participant
0 Kudos

I have a customer that would like to replicate his SAP SQL 2005 database to a second server. I've talked to SAP about this last year. They don't support this - but has anyone tried this? Has any one got this to work?

It seems like to me that it could work.

Marshall

Edited by: Jones Marshall on Sep 23, 2008 11:26 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Marshall-Jones
Participant
0 Kudos

I figured out how too do this. SQL 2005 Replication doesn't seem to work, but SQL 2005 Mirroring does. It won't use the auto fail over feature - because the SAP client would need to be modified. But this should work for my customer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jones, I'm kind of curious about the MS SQL 2005 Mirroring process that you've setup to solve your problem. Any chance you've got a document you can share on what you've done?

Marshall-Jones
Participant
0 Kudos

I setup a standard mirror:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/dbmirror.mspx

with High Protection

the quick steps:

backup SBO-Common and SAP database, (make sure they are in full recovery mode first)

restored the databases to another SQL server without recovery. (Restored databases must be offline)

walked through the wizard to enable database mirroring.

Marshall-Jones
Participant
0 Kudos

Sure the cost is higher, but when you compare the server cost to be down for half a day - it isn't that much. And the customer I'm talking about already has 2 sql servers with licenses.

So I guess I'll play with this myself....

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I mean is the total numbers of B1 user licenses. It is not only for the server.

Marshall-Jones
Participant
0 Kudos

The license service isn't on the SQL servers. So you don't have to have multi-SAP license.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marshall,

The cost for hot backup solution will be too high even if it exists at all. For example, at minimum you have to buy 2 times of the current licenses in order the fail-over server works immediately. B1 is the product for SME, I don't think there is great market for this kind of solution.

To have frequently backup like every 15 minutes should be more than enough for normal business.

Thanks,

Gordon

Marshall-Jones
Participant
0 Kudos

If I wanted to I could do a cluster server. This I know works - I have one client on one now. But I like the idea of replication because - some times if one server goes down it takes the cluster with it.

But my question is has anyone tried Replication?

Has anyone got it to work?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jones ,

I think there is a product BDR called Zenith technology (approx i couldn't get the exact name )which keeps as a backup.In every fifteen minutes , it takes a snapshot of database .

If your server goes down, with the help of this software ,your downtime willbe only half an hour .

I couldn't find the exact name but if you are looking for something like this , i can give you detail .

Thank you

Bishal

Marshall-Jones
Participant
0 Kudos

Right, but the customer wants a real time solution. SQL 2005 does have replication built into it.

Backing up to it would only be up-to-date as the last backup. Doing full backups every 15 minutes isn't very practical.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jones,

I suggested you what is practically possible and what people globally in general follow. I do not think anything beyond this would be possible

Suda

Marshall-Jones
Participant
0 Kudos

looking for a real time fall-over server. Just in case he has a hardware failure on one server - he wants to be able to switch over to the other server and have it always ready.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is more of a backup function...you could setup a SQL Server back to this server..

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please explain the term REPLICATE ( What exactly are you wanting to do)?