cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRRedist2008_x86 - no longer downloadable by PRQ (prerequisites) file?

Former Member
0 Kudos

FYI - I'm reposting this query from the original conversation thread at (in case anyone wants the history).

We've just encountered a problem with downloading CRRedist2008_x86 as a setup prerequisite.

Our product includes CRRedist2008_x86.msi as a setup prerequisite downloadable from the web. We haven't had an issue with this previously, and probably haven't exercised it in some time. However, yesterday we did and it fails to download via Windows Installer, or directly from InstallShield via the prerequisites definition (i.e., .PRQ) file. I manually followed the URL in the prerequisities file and I was able to download it successfully that way (so the file is still there), but I noticed that the file size does NOT agree with that info in the prerequisites file.

Here is a snippet from the PRQ file we have been using:

<file LocalFile="C:Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv6.0ABootstrapperPackagesCrystalReports10_5CRRedist2008_x86.msi" URL="http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/downloads/redistributables/vs_2008/redist/x86/CRRedist2008_x86.msi" CheckSum="C931B3CBA27BA9289F502CB98CB2A5C8" FileSize="0,17964544"></file>

</files>

The above URL still exists and the MSI file is still there - but what is there now no longer agrees with the file info in the PRQ file - I don't know about the checksum, but I downloaded the file at the above URL and its size is different.

Please note that I am NOT simply looking for a URL to obtain the MSI file. The file at the above URL was a vendor provided download location, and I am using an associated prerequisites file which was tightly bound to the contents of that location (checksum and file size). Apparently the contents of the URL has changed and that is going to break every product installer previously built and distributed which references this URL via Windows Installer setup prerequisites; this should never have been changed.

So, options:

a) can the Vendor (now SAP) correct whatever has gone wrong with the contents at the above URL (i.e., restore the previous file which matched the prerequisites file specifications); or

b) provide a new prerequisites file (or file info) for the above URL; or

c) provide a new official download location and matching prerequisites file.

Option (a) is obviously the only one that will work for all existing product installers referencing the "old" location, and thus is preferable. Going forward (for new product installers) Option (c) gives the Vendor an opportunity to transition everyone to a new location - but it needs to be a permanent unchanging location (you can't changes things like this without breaking things for everyone who has already used it).

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try this -

- Backup your original MSI file from here C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x86.msi

- Download the file http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/downloads/redistributables/vs_2008/redist/x86/CRRedist2...

- Replace the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x86.msi

- Rebuild your ClickOnce deployment package

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the reason to download it and place it in the directory Dave suggests is so that your local matches what is on the web.

As for guarenteeing that this file will never change, this is something I do not think we can do as I believe it will be updated for service packs and hotfixes.

Trevor.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It doesn't matter if it downloads on my machine or not (i.e., my machine being the build system on which the product installers are built) - because that still doesn't help any product installers built for "download from web" (either before or after I manually download) - because the checksum and file size info in the PRQ file gets embedded in the product setup prerequiste downloader (for integrity purposes) and that doesn't agree with what is at the download site - because apparently the download site contents have changed.

I realize this is turning into a bit of a chicken-and-egg runaround, and I'm not sure what the right answer is - but I strongly suspect that changing the contents at a download site referenced by product installers with checksum & file size info is NOT one of the alternatives. If it was me providing the Vendor download site, the first rule would be "can't break products already referencing the URL"; this implies that new download versions would each need a new, unique download site.

HOWEVER, a possible way out of this connundrum (at least for new installers I build going forward) is this: I just tried modifying the PRQ file and removing the checksum and file size specifications and InstallShield will successfully download the file from the URL site. So, if I use this modified PRQ file and generate install kits, the setup prerequisite downloader should simply download any file of the correct name at the URL download site, regardless of its file size or checksum. Of course, I am giving up the download integrity checks provided by the checksum and file size info.

HOWEVER [2], this doesn't help anyone who has already built and distributed products with setup prerequisite downloaders based on the file size and checksum info which was previously correct.

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ron,

I've spoken with some of the project managers and we are looking into this matter. I will update this thread later.

Regards,

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

It looks as though the prerequisites file we have been using may be homegrown here. Since we are using the download location URL as a target for setup prequisites in our product installers, the file size/checksum info in the prerequisites file has to agree with the file at the download location. Since the contents of the download location have changed (in what manner I'm not even sure), in order to resolve this issue for our current development I have revised our prerequisites file to match the current version of the file at the download location.

However, any existing product installers (built who knows how long ago) are all going to continue to fail. Hopefully, now that I have synched up our current development to the current contents of the download location, this won't change anymore.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That won't help - this is a setup prerequisite downloadable from the web at installation time. InstallShield builds a Setup.exe which includes references to setup prerequisites. This setup prerequisite is a download from the vendor web site. While the file is still located at the historical location (as specified in the PRQ file I have), it no longers matches the details in the PRQ file.

Okay, one way I can "workaround" this is to not use the download from the web site and simply carry the file around in / with our installation package - at a cost of 18 MB for every copy of our installer . I'm loathe to do that.

Another way I can "workaround" this is to revise my PRQ file to match the file at the download site. My issues with that are I'm not sure at the moment how to generate a checksum for the downloaded file, and if the download site has changed the file once it could be done again and I'm back in this boat again.

I really would like Crystal (now SAP) to give us a guaranteed location (URL) for this type of download, along with the assoicated PRQ file, and guarantee it won't be changed again (assuming that is what has happened this time).