CRRedist2008_x86 - no longer downloadable by PRQ (prerequisites) file?
FYI - I'm reposting this query from the original conversation thread at CRRedist2008_x86 - no longer downloadable by PRQ (prerequisites) file? (in case anyone wants the history).
We've just encountered a problem with downloading CRRedist2008_x86 as a setup prerequisite.
Our product includes CRRedist2008_x86.msi as a setup prerequisite downloadable from the web. We haven't had an issue with this previously, and probably haven't exercised it in some time. However, yesterday we did and it fails to download via Windows Installer, or directly from InstallShield via the prerequisites definition (i.e., .PRQ) file. I manually followed the URL in the prerequisities file and I was able to download it successfully that way (so the file is still there), but I noticed that the file size does NOT agree with that info in the prerequisites file.
Here is a snippet from the PRQ file we have been using:
<file LocalFile="C:Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv6.0ABootstrapperPackagesCrystalReports10_5CRRedist2008_x86.msi" URL="http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/downloads/redistributables/vs_2008/redist/x86/CRRedist2008_x86.msi" CheckSum="C931B3CBA27BA9289F502CB98CB2A5C8" FileSize="0,17964544"></file>
The above URL still exists and the MSI file is still there - but what is there now no longer agrees with the file info in the PRQ file - I don't know about the checksum, but I downloaded the file at the above URL and its size is different.
Please note that I am NOT simply looking for a URL to obtain the MSI file. The file at the above URL was a vendor provided download location, and I am using an associated prerequisites file which was tightly bound to the contents of that location (checksum and file size). Apparently the contents of the URL has changed and that is going to break every product installer previously built and distributed which references this URL via Windows Installer setup prerequisites; this should never have been changed.
a) can the Vendor (now SAP) correct whatever has gone wrong with the contents at the above URL (i.e., restore the previous file which matched the prerequisites file specifications); or
b) provide a new prerequisites file (or file info) for the above URL; or
c) provide a new official download location and matching prerequisites file.
Option (a) is obviously the only one that will work for all existing product installers referencing the "old" location, and thus is preferable. Going forward (for new product installers) Option (c) gives the Vendor an opportunity to transition everyone to a new location - but it needs to be a permanent unchanging location (you can't changes things like this without breaking things for everyone who has already used it).