cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with keydecoder.dll in Crystal Reports 2008 Trial Version

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

My company is interested in purchasing Crystal Reports 2008 and has asked me to download and try the trial version. However, I have been running into a keydecoder.dll problem. Setup was smooth and here are the details:

Problem message:

"Crystal Reports: Application Error Couldn't load keydecoder.dll"

I have Windows Vista and I have already configured all permissions and administrative rights to the problem to full control. I have also attempted to drag the keydecoder.dll application extension out of win32_x86 to the file folder crystal reports 2008. I have also already attempted to reinstall and making a new program file location named 'Crystal Reports 2008'.

I'm running out of ideas and would appreciate some help. Thank you

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Found the answer. This happened to me with Crystal Reports 2008 SP2 + FP2.2

Go to Control Panel

Add/Remove Programs

Find the FP2.2 entry and Click on REPAIR

Fixed the issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help, but this did not fix my problem...

Again, when I open the file location it directs me to win32_x86

This is starting to get really frustrating. My company is starting to lose interest....

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've looked at all the posts re. keydecoder.dll on the SAP / BO forums as well as other forums. The issue does appear to be quite rare, so working towards an answer may take time. I do understand your frustration, but as far as I am concerned, this is a new issue...

To continue troubleshooting the issue let's do the following:

1) uninstall CR 2008

2) after you have uninstalled CR 2008, ensure that no keydecoder.dll exists on your system from the previous attempts at making it work (e.g.; system32, etc., etc.)

3) open the registry and delete the CR 2008 hive at HKCU\software\business objects\suite 12.0. You may want to back up your registry first...

4) in the registry, delete the CR 2008 hive at HKLM\software\business objects\suite 12.0.

5) reinstall CR 2008

if the above does not help and you still get issues with the keydecoder.dll, do the following:

Download the dependency walker utility from here;

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Open the keydecoder.dll in depends and look at the log that is generated. Look for load errors that will be highlighted in red. I believe you can ignore errors refering to gdiplus.dll, msjava.dll and mpr.dll. Let me know if you see any other dlls highlighted as being at issue in the depends.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I ran keydecoder.dll in Dependency.

I have errors in two modules:

c:\windows\system32\IEFRAME.DLL

c:\windows\system32\SHLWAPI.DLL

now what?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've been constantly getting this problem on all our Crystal reports 2008 SP2 installs. Re-installing SP2 makes the error go away for a while, but it keeps coming back.

I stumbled across a solution this morning which seems to work:

Copy the keydecoder.dll file from the "<installdir>\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86" folder to "<installdir>\common\4.0\bin".

I got the idea from a fix for this same problem on Crystal XI on the SAP KB (article 1198801), which said to change the CommonFiles registry key. The registry key appears to be correct, but the keydecoder.dll isn't in that location by default.

I just hope this is a permanent fix!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try the following and see if it works:

Grab the keydecoder.dll file from <<Install Directory>>\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86 folder

(Default is C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86 folder

Place the dll file into <<Install Directory>>\

(Default is c:\Program Files\Business Objects\....)

Try to run Crystal Reports.

Regards,

Shweta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have tried this method in every way possible. Unfortunately, this does not work. I've dragged the keydecoder.dll file EVERYWHERE. Am I the only one facing this problem in Crystal Reports 2008? I realize that some of the Xcelsius users have had this problem...any suggestions?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See if you can manually register the dll. Go to Start | Run, type in regsvr32 <path> to the dll, including the dll name. If this is successful, you may need to add the keycode. To add the keycode, go to the win32_x86 directory and find the LicenseManager.exe and run that - follow the instructions there.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately I get the regsvr32 error. The module "keydecoder.dll" failed to load. The binary is stored at the specified path and I have typed it in correctly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Key,

I have found a business objects Note 1198801.

Please have a look to it.

We can find Business objects Note/KBase from here

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/advancedsearch?cat=sdn_ossnotes&query=&adv=true#]

For your reference have a look to content of that Note:-

1198801 - Error: "Crystal Reports: Application Error - Couldn't load the keydecoder.dll" when attempting to start Crystal Reports XI

-

Symptom

When attempting to start Crystal Reports XI, the following error message appears:

"Crystal Reports: Application Error - Couldn't load the keydecoder.dll".

Cause :

The error message occurs because the CommonFiles entry has the wrong path in the registry.

Resolution :

CAUTION The following resolution involves editing the registry. Using the Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall the Microsoft Windows operating system. Use the Registry Editor at your own risk. It is strongly recommended that you make a backup copy of the registry files before you edit the registry. For information on how to edit the registry key, view the 'Changing Keys And Values' online Help topic in the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).

To resolve the error message

Click Start > Run. The Run dialog box appears.

Type "regedit" in the Open: text field. Click OK. The Registry Editor appears.

Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCLAL_MACHINESOFTWAREBusiness ObjectsSuite 11.5Crystal Reports.

Double-click the CommonFiles string. The Edit String dialog box appears.

Ensure that the path points to the location of <installation directory>Common3.5in.

For example, the default location is the following: C:Program FilesBusiness ObjectsCommon3.5in.

Edit the path as necessary.

Click OK. Close the Registry Editor.

Crystal Reports starts successfully.

Hope that helps!!

Regards,

Shweta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek

I just purchased and received a copy of Crystal Reports 2008 Visual Advantage which I installed on my pc running windows Vista. I am getting the keydecoder.dll error.

I tried adding the keycode I received on my order confirmation to the License Manager but am getting an error that says my key code is not valid.

Also, I cannot register my key code on www.businessobjects.com/register/content.asp

my keycode begins with CA51C-

any suggestions?