cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NetWeaver 7.01 - ABAP Trial Version - Adobe Flex Islands are missing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

After installing SAP NetWeaver 7.01 - ABAP Trial Version, Enhancement Package 1, I discovered that the Adobe Flex Islands UI element is missing.

- How/when can I play around with it and integrate Flex applications with my WebDynpro 4 ABAP applications?

- Is Adobe Flex Islands for WebDynpro 4 ABAP demonstrated at the teched in Berlin? Which session should I attend?

Any information on the subject would be nice.

best regards,

Roelof Jan Bouwknegt

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

In the thread that was linked were discussing the Flash Islands Flex component that allows you to create your own Flash Islands objects. You can however consume the sample objects in the system. The FlashIslands UI element isn't missing, it is just that it must be the ROOT UI element of a view. Create a new view and right mouse click on the ROOTUIELEMENT and choose Swap UI element. You will then see FlashIslands as one of the choices.

As to TechEd Berlin - Flash Islands for Web Dynpro ABAP is covered in COMP274 (Introduction to Web Dynpro ABAP) as a demo and in COMP277 (Update Your ABAP Developement Skills to NetWeaver 7.0) as an exercise. We also cover the topic (along with how to create your own Islands in Flex) during the SDN Community Day Mentors' Hands-On Workshop.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I tried to do what you advised but without success. My NSP 7.01 trial simply doesn't have the Flash Island option just below the ROOTUIELEMENTCONTAINER. I've put a screenshot on screencast to show what I'm doing:

http://screencast.com/t/bzYlevsHP

I'm certainly will join the COMP277 session.

Is the SDN Community Day Mentors' Hands-On Workshop for ABAP available in Berlin? That was unclear until now. Would be very nice.

best regards,

Roelof Jan

Edited by: Roelof Jan Bouwknegt on Sep 24, 2008 5:27 PM

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Don't use the normal process of inserting the element under the ROOTUIELEMENTCONTAINER. Instead right mouse click on an empty ROOTUIELEMENTCONTAINER and choose Swap Root Element.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjung/2885391212/

Then you will get a much smaller list of UI elements that can be substitutes for the ROOTUIELEMENTCONTAINER. FlashIslands will be one of them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjung/2885391220

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Is the SDN Community Day Mentors' Hands-On Workshop for ABAP available in Berlin? That was unclear until now. Would be very nice.

Yes, I just posted a blog yesterday anouncing that we will give the same workshop in Berlin. Only Ed Herrmann only be able to join us, but we will still cover his Floorplan Manager topic.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

It's working now. Very promising technology. Is it true that I can build now a full featured high perfomant Flex application with a powerful consistent WD4A backend framework? That's too good. Thx for your quick help.

best regards,

Roelof Jan

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Thomas,

>

> It's working now. Very promising technology. Is it true that I can build now a full featured high perfomant Flex application with a powerful consistent WD4A backend framework? That's too good. Thx for your quick help.

>

> best regards,

> Roelof Jan

That is true. Keep in mind however that the Flash Island isn't meant to take up your entire UI. It is intended to supplement the existing Web Dynpro UI elements. There are things that WD does better than Flex - Value Help, Translation, Personalization, Accessibility. Of course there are advantages to using Flex as well - especially for very visual or highly interactive UI element constructs. Hopefully the combination of Flex and WD gives you the best of both worlds when used in a powerful combination.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bala,

Guess I'll have to wait as my company is not part of the ramp up of EHP01.

best regards,

Roelof Jan