cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the use of option "Consistency check for characteristic values" ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me what is the use of Option Consistency check for characteristic values in the InfoPackage Processing Tab?

Regards,

Kiran Telkar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

for each load the system checks wether the master data for the objects exist or not. You can choose between Update even if no master data exists, then the system will create a basic master data record for you during the load (load will take more time) or Do not update....., Then you need to load master data before the transactional data. Therefore the transactional data loads will be faster. This is also the safer option in case you do some derivations based on master data attributes somewhere in your transfer/update rules or transformations.

regards

Siggi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This option checks the validity of the characteristic values before processing further. A good example is a date field. If you have the option turned off, you could receive a bad date in the form of 9232008.... which would incorrectly be determined as 00/20/9232. In an ODS load, you would get an invalid date failure at activation.

If you turned the option on, then it would catch this error before loading the data into the ODS, allowing you to change the value in the PSA before loading.

This option will also identify errors resulting in invalid characters coming into the system.

Since you still need to investigate either way, I typically leave it off. If you are getting a lot of invalid characters coming through and it's uncontrollable, and you have no power to get your users to use valid characters, then it may be a good idea for you to turn this on.

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply..

When i turned on that option.

I found many errors.

Please find the below.

1. Value 'Lth 1" SCH 80 STEEL PIPE S355J2G3' (hex. '4C74682031222053434820383020535445454C2050495045

2. Value 'HPC9386 AE Cyan' (hex. '48504339333836204145204379616E200D0A ') of characteristic STXTMD

Like this i have almost 133 data packets has errors.

when i checked in PSA for to find this value i am not able to see it..

Please could you help me in this issue..

Regards,

Kiran Telkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you loading these values into an attribute/characteristic or text? If it's an attribute, BW doesn't like lower case characters in key fields ... which is pretty much every characteristic value.

You can add an option to your transfer rules to translate these values to upper case before bringing them in. However, these look like texts to me and should be treated as such -- load them into a text master data object rather than directly into a cube or ODS.

You can easily translate to upper case using the formula editor in your transfer rules.... the function is TOUPPER.

Brian