Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capturing exact break down duration in a Notification

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

My client requirement is like this:

Plant is operating only 2 shifts. i.e. 6 AM to 11 PM (No 3rd shift operations).

Breakdown occurred at 9 PM in the evening and the equipment restarted by 7 AM next day. Notification has been created with these timings...i.e. from 9 PM on the day actual breakdown occurred and next day 7 AM as end time. Now system is proposing breakdown duration as 12 hrs., where as actual breakdown is only 3 hrs, (since the plant is operated in only 2 shifts, even the technicians worked only 3hrs to rectify the problem).

Since SAP is considering 24 hrs , the realistic breakdown times are not being represented.

Please suggest how to handle this i.e. to capture only actual breakdown durations.

Is it necessary to create to different notifications (with 2hrs and one hr duration), because of two different dates, ?

Thanks in advance....

Srinivas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pithan,

Many thanks for the reply.

Here users are entering the actual timings of breakdown start and ending and sap calculating the time on 24 hr basis. This is OK..if the plant is operating 3 shifts, .i.e.24 hrs. But plant is operating only 16hrs/day. That means night shift is idle and there is no need to consider the m/c downtime as breakdown. Hence actual breakdown is only 3 hrs.

The issue here is when users are entering actual timings of m/c breakdown start and end timings .i.e. start -9 PM on 22nd and end - 7 AM on 23rd, SAP is caluculating the breakdown duration as 12 hrs, but users wanted it to be 3 hrs, since night shift is idle.

Do you suggest to manipulate the End time in notificataion to match the exact duration of breakdown?... In this case, users have to track the exact duration of breakdowns instead of timings..but they prefer to note production stop and start timings...

Regards,

Srinivas

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi srinivas

Srinivas, when the SAP is implemented, they have designed the SAP Standard timing for 24 hrs. It can be restristed to 16 Hrs with respect to your work hours. So the problem is you cannot reser or create or any work after the 16 hrs. To avoid this kind of issue they have desided to go for 24hrs.

Here comes the problem with the break down. You feel if the break down duration increased, it affects the MTTR.

The break down occured at 9PM, when u create a notification, it takes the malfunction start timing and date which the notification was created or u can enter the accurate timings.

Break down is nothing but the equipment is stopped till the equipment is started. thats the normal timing of the break down. You can change it, if u want to get the accurate MTTR etc...If u manipulate, then only ur MTTR will not increase.

To calculate the exact time of work, you will be comfirming labours work duration in IW41. So, there u can enter the labor worked only for 3 hrs, which means actual cost of the labour. It will be accurate.

If u give the break down duration as 3 hrs. It means rest of the time the system is in idle. Waiting for start.

At last : SAP will calculate for 24hrs, since it was defined. If u change it, it will lead to many problems. So manipulating the hours wil be efficient to get the break down and Confirming the labour timing in IW41, give the accurate work hours. Actual cost of labor.

Hope u understand it

- pithan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pithan,

Many thanks for your detailed explanation.

This explanation clarifies the doubts of many having a opinion like " it's necessary to record exact breakdown in notification" .

Now one could understand that if getting accurate MTTR is the prirority, then just record the actual duration of breakdown, instead of doing changes to standard SAP and leading to many problems.

As you said "manipulating the hours wil be efficient to get the break down and confirming the labour timing in IW41, give the accurate work hours,actual cost of labor" - appears to be more logical and simple solution to follow.

once again thanks Pithan.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for forwarding the link of previous thread. We know the thread, however wanted to post the question again with an intention to get more participation and simple solutions.

Best regards,

Srinivas

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member192541
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas Rao,

Suppose if you create 2 notifications like 22/09 9pm to 22/09 11pm 1 notification, and from 23/09 6am to 7am one more notification.Can we do like that for making 3hrs breakdown?

Regards

Prashanth

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prashantha,

As per the forum rules, please open a new thread, so all experts will be able to provide a solution.

Regards

Terence

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please search the database before creating any new posts..

[Here|https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=16625639&messageID=6184020] is a very recent post on the same topic (see Paul's response).

PeteA

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi srinivas

As per ur query. You say the break down is 3 hrs

So in the notification

Example

malfunction start : 22.09.2008 / 21:00

Malfunction end : 23.09.2008 / 00.00

Place the tick in the breakdown

It will calculate only for 3 hours

But...

You said 9pm and the equipment started at 7am, interval is 12 hours

Sap wil calculate 12 hours.. since the duration between start and end of malfunction has 12 hours

you can close the notification past hours.

I dont know this is useful or not...

Reply me

- Pithan