cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hardware migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear all,

i am actually looking at migrating our production server into another server. ie from IBM 32 bit to HP 64 bit. with same OS,DB,SAP version(ECC 6.0). its just upgradation of hardware capacity. i have good idea of how database refresh is done, but i am not sure if the same procedure can be followed here as well. hope you can list me the points that i need to do extra in this case. also please suggest me the best method to follow. the OS is windows 2003, DB is oracle 10g. any links given will be highly appreciated and rewarded suitably.

thank you very much.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check note 960769 - Windows: Migration from 32-bit to 64-bit (x86_64)

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi markus,

thanks for the prompt and useful response. i went through the note and it largely talked about the pre requisites and the compatibilities between the two environments. i just wanted to know the extra thing i need to do for a homogenous system copy from 32 bit to 64 bit with rest everything as it is.if you can single out those, it would be of great help to me.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> i just wanted to know the extra thing i need to do for a homogenous system copy from 32 bit to 64 bit with rest everything as it is.if you can single out those, it would be of great help to me.

Do a backup/restore and make sure, you use the current patches for the database (not Oracle 10.1 for example). Apart from that it should be a smooth process.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

yeah, both source and target are on 10.2 and patch set would be the same too. how about the hardware key etc?

anyway thanks.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - you need a new license for that new system. You can get that at http://service.sap.com/licensekey. Select your system and add the new customer key.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

read the following SDN blog:

also consider upgrading your kernel and running SGEN after successful start.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are going to move from Windows 2003 32 bits to Windows 2003 64 bits is an Homogeneous system copy BUT there are some changes (minor) during the process that are not the same as in a "normal" homogeneous system copy because Oracle 32 bits database has some differences to the 64 bits same version.

Example, this lines must be included into the control.sql file before the import process begins:

startup upgrade

spool utlirp.log

@?/rdbms/admin/utlirp.sql

spool off

shutdown immediate

startup

spool utlrp.log

@?/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql

spool off

All the process is explained in the Homogeneous system copy guide, until SR2 ( I did the copy from 32 to 64 about 5 times in different systems) there was some bugs during the process and hopefully they have been fixed in SR3.

Yes you need a different License because the HW key is different and also you need an SOLMAN key for this process.

Good Luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi AC,

i am going to use db refresh method (manual copying of data files+orig/mirr logs), not the import export one using sapinst. does it still bother me?

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, it still bothers you, you follow procedure that AC supplied (that was probably taken from the blog link I provided) and do the work.

so, convert your DB to 64-bit, start in on 64-bit/hardware/software and run SGEN after.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric, just to clear something because I don´t want to be known as a copy/paste guy, I took this info from an Control.sql I have in my pendrive at the BRCOPY directory I have there because I have use it a lot (have done 32 to 64 migrations about 8 times now).

Have a nice day.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

sorry for the false accusation AC...

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you all mates.

I did the migration successfully.