cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chart Legend Edits not holding - CR XI R2

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are making a report with multiple sub reports. Many of the sub reports are charts (Pie, stacked bar & line). The default legend labels are "Sum of [table or query name].[field name]." When we preview, then edit the legend labels to something more user friendly and save, the edits don't stick. As long as the report is open it looks OK, as soon as the report is closed and reopened it reverts back to the default legend label.

What can be done to correct this behavior so the legend labels once edited will hold the value assigned?

FYI

The main report is simply a shell to hold the sub reports with conditionals for each section/sub report to allow for that sub report to be shown or not. There are no links between the sub reports or the sub reports and the main report. There are approximately 100 sub reports and about 1/3 of them are charts.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am having this same issue of a main report with multiple subreports, but all of my subreports are charts. All of the charts except two will hold their titles and formating after a save and close. Upon reopening the main report, the titles and formating is reset to the defaults. Did you ever get a resolution to the problem?

Former Member
0 Kudos

As a matter of fact I did resolve the problem of getting the legend label changes to stick. It is a multi-step process and not at all intuitive.

First preview the report and select the label you want to change, right-click and select the Edit Axis Label from the pop-up menu then edit the Displayed Label field with what you want to display. Do this for all the lables you want to change.

Then while still in preview right-click on the chart area (not the legend), you should see a long pop-up menu, in the middle of this pop-up is the Apply Changes to All Charts, click this (This is the 'Secret Sause" to making your change stick); and then Save the (sub)report.

Repeat these steps for each sub report and when finished Save the Main report. Your chart labels should now be what you edited them to.

Edited by: Steve S on Nov 11, 2008 5:59 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank for the response. I guess I did something wrong because while in preview I right click on the chart and I do not get the "Apply Changes to All Charts" option.

What I did find however, if I will return to the main report before clicking save it will hold the changes made on the subreport.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Steve,

Thank you for posting this, I have had the same issue on a 990 page report, trying to capture each Sum of or Avg of, has been extremley time consuming each month.

Do you know if this can also be done progammaticly, when creating new graph, to have the defualt part of the text removed i.e "sum of."

Former Member
0 Kudos

If all else fails, you can do this programatically with our CRChart add-in for Crystal Reports, which has some macros like @ASL to do what you want.

-Dan

DISCLAIMER: I work for the company, threedgraphics.com, that makes this product. This product costs money.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Preferably the solution would be to edit the Legend from the Design window.

The other workaround is just delete the auto generated legend and manually creates legends.

The charts used in Group Headers uses the summaries, which are evaluated while previewing the report and are referred to as u201CWhileprintingrecordsu201D stage and happens in Pass #2. Hence, the modifications that are done to the chart labels are not retained when you preview the report after closing the report. When you save the data with report, the modification are retained because they are not evaluated again and uses the existing data. You can observe this by closing the preview and then if you preview it again, you will not get the modified axis label as they are evaluated freshly.

In case of charts which are placed in Report Header, these are evaluated in Pass #1.

For more information on this, refer the document cr9_evaluationtimes.pdf

OR search for multi-pass reporting in Crystal Reports Online Help.

To create manual legends, follow the below steps:

Step 1: Open the report.

Step 2: Select u2018Boxu2019 from Insert menu and draw a small box near Chart

Step 3: Select u2018Text Objectu2019 from Insert menu and insert it near the small box inserted in step 2 and enter the required label text in it.

Step3: Right click on the box and select u2018Format Boxu2019 option, check u2018Fillu2019 checkbox and select the required color.

Step 4: Repeat step 2,3 to have mores manual legend labels.

Step 5: Preview the report.

Hope the above helps.

Regards,

Alpana