Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaggregation of calendar week to fiscal week

steve_wisz
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I have a requirement in which the customer has a Fiscal Week that starts on Thur and ends on a Wed. However, for our planning application, the users will plan on 0CALWEEK, and we need to derive Fiscal Week. For example, if a user enters in 100 for a Summation key figure for 0CALWEEK (Mon - Sun), we would need to proportion 3/7 to Fiscal Week 1 = 43, and then 4/7 or 57 to Fiscal Week 2. I think we can modify the 1st record record to read...

0CALWEEK FISCAL WK 0AMOUNT

1 1 43

...and generate a new record for FW 2 to read...

1 2 57

We can create a function of type Exit that can do a lookup to the Factory calendar to obtain the number of working days in a particular calendar week in order to proportion the number of working days.

I can also think of creating a Distribution function to distribute to Fiscal Week perhaps based on historical data as another way to generate the Fiscal Week #2 record.

Has anyone else come across the need to split records like this? If so, then what approach did you take to solve the problem?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by: Steven Wisz on Sep 22, 2008 3:37 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steven,

I have taken calendar days and assigned them to fiscal weeks in the past, but I haven't broken out proportions. I just wanted to say that fiscal weeks do not exist in BW, so I don't see how they will be part of the factory calendar.

In my situation, we created an info object with a date and Fiscal Week key field and put in a few attributes for calendar week, calendar month, first/last day of fiscal period, etc... I used this as a lookup table given a calendar day, fiscal week, or even a calendar week.

That should take care of figuring out what fiscal week you have.

For your proportionate amount, is this the real requirement or can you just have your users enter the calendar day, week or fiscal week the amounts apply to? It's much easier and your users will know exactly where the data falls.

In other words, can you push back a bit? Your users probably don't realize how difficult it will be for "them" to reconcile the numbers they are entering. Also, if it's too complicated for them to figure out ... guess who will be troubleshooting on a weekly basis!

Brian

steve_wisz
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I like your apporach of creating the InfoObject for Fiscal Week with the attributes to look up which Fiscal Week to use.

We are in pre-Blueprinting, so I'm not certain if this a hard requirement or not, so I was just seeing how others might have approached it.

I agree that we need to push back because we will be interfacing and using data from other sources that use Calendar week, so to try and build a data model based on both will be difficult to reconcile.

Best regards,

Steve