cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal report 2008 slow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We just immigrated from visual studio 2003 (crystal report 10) to visual studio 2008 (crystal report 2008). In the development computer viewing/printing reports is fast even though it is not as fast as it used to be in crystal report 10. But in production computers viewing and printing is very slow. I think it is slow because crystal report looks the production database information by default first. Does anybody know why it is slow? Any work around? Any help will be appriciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What makes you think it is the database that is causing the issue? If you truly want to rule out the database you should make a copy of the report and open it in the Crystal Reports designer. Use Set Datasource Location under the Database menu to set the report source to the production server. Use this report in your application instead of the one causing you issues. If this report runs quickly then you may be onto something.

The other thing that may cause problems are your printer settings. Try opening the report in the Crystal Reports designer and

- Go to File > Page Setup

- Make sure No Printer (optimize for screen display) is selected

- Click Ok

- Save the report

- Retry the report in your application

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

Thanks for the reply. I did set the data source to the production server and viewing and printing is fast. Even it is fast if the development and production servers are in the same network. When I disconnect the development server from the network, it will become slow. That is why I guessed crystal report, while loading a report, searches the production database server by default first. It is a guess, may be if there is someone from Business Object (or anyone who knows) in this forum can prove me wrong.

Regards

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is the version number of crpe32.dll on the system with the problems? You'll find this under C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is 12.0.0.683

former_member208657
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

David

Is it enough if I install FixPack 2 for 2008 alone or I have to install both, FixPack 1 for 2008 first and FixPack 2 for 2008 next?

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Installed FixPack 2 for 2008 and tested again but not a solution. It is strange how an older version (crystal report 10) is faster than the latest version (crystal Report 2008). Please, anybody who had similar experience and managed to work around, help me out here.

thanks

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Compare the database client version on the Dev system and the Prod system.

You may want to also consider, as a test, installing the CR designer on the Prod system. How is the performance there as compared to the Dev system?

BTW., what actually is the processing time difference? And, do you see this difference all the time, or only when you run the report the 1st time?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I got what makes the reports slow. Most of our reports have SQL Expression Fields and the Crystal report Engine tries to connect to the development database in order to resolve SQL Expression fields. I removed (DELETED) the SQL Expression fields from the reports and it is working good now.

I would like to thank everybody who have tried to help me solve the problem

regards

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shweta,

We use windows operating systems, mostly XP and Vista.

We don't use merge modules.

The database is SQLserver 2005 express

while designing the reports, we used OLE DB ADO connection for SQL server 2005

Here is the code we used to set database after loading the report

reportDocument1.Load(RptPath);

crDatabase = reportDocument1.Database;

crTables = crDatabase.Tables;

crConnectionInfo.ServerName = @"dName";

crConnectionInfo.UserID = "userId";

crConnectionInfo.Password = "lpassword";

thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Issue is with single report or all the reports?

Web or windows application?

Are you using datasets?

Regards,

Shweta

Former Member
0 Kudos

All reports

Windows application

We don't use datasets. We just pass paramters in the code for predesigned reports.

regards,

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You say:

"We don't use merge modules."

How then, do you install the Crystal Reports runtime?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

We use our application installation to install the runtime on production machines. Just invoking the run time .msi while installing or upgrading our application. Does it make sense?

regards

former_member183750
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

What I was try to say is, our application's installation package includes the MSI file from the first link you just posted. Before installing or upgrading our application in users' machine the installation packages installs the runtime (CRRuntime_12_0_mlb.msi).

Also I installed the run time manually in a test machine, but does not solve the problem.

regards

0 Kudos

Hello,

Try this, Open the Report in Crystal Report Designer and click on FIle, Report Options and check off Verify on first refresh and Verify Stored Procedures on first refresh.

Depending on the driver version, may be different, open up Regedit and go to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions - VerifyWhenDBDriverUpgraded

Set this to No if it's Yes. Close the Report Designer first, if it's open it will restore any changes to the registry when CR Designer is closed.

While you are in there change DoAutoSmartLinking = No also if it's set to Yes.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

Thanks for you reply. I followed all the instructions you suggested but the problem still exists. There was no problem when we were using visual studio 2003 and crystal report10.

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Which operating system are you using?

Are you using merge modules?

Database you are using?

Connectivity method for the database?

Regards,

Shweta