cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HR: Should it be a separate system or a shared one?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friends,

We are in the decision point in our project about the system landscape of SAP HCM system.

There are three options we are considering about SAP HCM installation:

1. On a separate system

2. On a shared system with other modules but separate client

3. On a shared system & client with other modules.

The most important concern of my client is the confidentiality of the salary & payroll data.

Thus, they think that we may enhance confidentiality if we separate the HR system physically.

However, there will be a lot of integration points of HR module with other modules (FI, CO, cProjects), thus I believe that separating the HR system would slow down the speed of the project.

Please share you ideas & experience with me on this regard so that I can offer them a logical solution.

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,

Dilek

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

suresh_datti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> The most important concern of my client is the confidentiality of the salary & payroll data.

> Dilek

We have our FI-HR on a single system for over 6 years & haven't had any 'Confidentiality' issues , as yet..

~Suresh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

Separating the systems was quite a big think in the 90s and even early 2000 because of legal changes patches and service pack upgrades which were a pain in the butt to apply and impacted all users/modules on a system.

Nowadays this is not a problem anymore and most clients I visit have one single system with one client.

Confidentiallity/security is controlled by authorization profiles and structured authorization if you use OM and only a handful of users have full access e.g. BASIS team

Weather or not you separate the system you will need to have certain users who will have access to all information!

Please note though that it is general easier to split systems later then to merge them because of client independent configuration.

Basically if you decide to go with one system/one client then you can split them into two systems later easier then creating one system from two separate systems.

Hope that helps,

Harald