cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install 2nd Oracle SID on Linux

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

my purpose is to install an additionally sap instance with an own oracle SID.

during the Oracle installation of a 2nd Oracle Instance throgh the command ./RUNINSTALLER (oracle installer) i get the following error message befoer the oracle GUI started:

you don't have suffiecient permissions to access the inventory: '/oracle/<myFirst SID>/oraInventory/locks. Installation cannot continue. make sure you have read/write permission to the inventory directory and restart the installer. : Persmission denied.

The installer tries to access the first oracle SID, but i just choose a new SID for the 2nd oracle SID installation.

What could be the problem?

regards,

Sharam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sharam,

> you don't have suffiecient permissions to access the inventory: '/oracle/<myFirst SID>/oraInventory/locks

It seems like that you have located the global inventory in the /oracle/<FIRST_SID> directory. The global inventory should contain all oracle installations on a server and should be located in a directory that can be accessed by every oracle installation.

The location of that inventory is defined in the file "/etc/oraInst.loc".

You can change the path to a new location (/oracle/<SECOND_SID/.. for example), but if you do that you have to keep in mind to change the path in the file "/etc/oraInst.loc" for every patchset/opatch updates for every oracle installation.

Regards

Stefan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Sharam,

It is better to keep each inventory for each installation.

i.e inventory should be seperated for each installation.

To do this you must, before each and every run of oraInstaller do this:

a) Edit the file var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc

b) Replace the /oracle/<OLD>/oraInventory with the oracle SID of the

oracle directory you are installing or patching. eg.

/oracle/NEW/oraInventory

c) Now change to the new oracle user eg. "su - oranew" user and start

the./runInstaller session to install or patch the SID of your choice.

This will solve the problem.

Regards,

Arun.