Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Install 2nd Oracle SID on Linux

Hi everybody,

my purpose is to install an additionally sap instance with an own oracle SID.

during the Oracle installation of a 2nd Oracle Instance throgh the command ./RUNINSTALLER (oracle installer) i get the following error message befoer the oracle GUI started:

you don't have suffiecient permissions to access the inventory: '/oracle/<myFirst SID>/oraInventory/locks. Installation cannot continue. make sure you have read/write permission to the inventory directory and restart the installer. : Persmission denied.

The installer tries to access the first oracle SID, but i just choose a new SID for the 2nd oracle SID installation.

What could be the problem?

regards,

Sharam

replied

Hello Sharam,

> you don't have suffiecient permissions to access the inventory: '/oracle/<myFirst SID>/oraInventory/locks

It seems like that you have located the global inventory in the /oracle/<FIRST_SID> directory. The global inventory should contain all oracle installations on a server and should be located in a directory that can be accessed by every oracle installation.

The location of that inventory is defined in the file "/etc/oraInst.loc".

You can change the path to a new location (/oracle/<SECOND_SID/.. for example), but if you do that you have to keep in mind to change the path in the file "/etc/oraInst.loc" for every patchset/opatch updates for every oracle installation.

Regards

Stefan

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question