cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a simplified BPF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I am using BPC 5.1 and I am trying to build a simplified demo BPF.

How does one incorporate the idea of top down budgeting approach into BPC? I would imagine creating another "category" dimension called "m_budget" (m for manager for example) because you don't want to use the original "budget" category and you want 2 numbers, i.e. one from the top (i.e. m_budget), and one from the bottom (i.e. budget) to be compared.

What should i also consider when creating a simplified yet comprehensive enough budgeting BPF? Another consultant briefly mentioned things such data allocation. Any idea what that is?

Cheers

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did a test creating a parent account with 2 children account. whatever i entered into the 2 children members are automatically summed up in the parent member. it must be some internal logic that i haven't seen yet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lip,

Internally, BPC logic is built like all the childern get aggregated to parent.How it gets aggregated dependes on the account type of the child member.ICsales and ExtSales are defined as inc type in acctype property and so get sumed up to TotRev and CostofGoods is defined as exp type, so its value is deducted from TotRev to get aggregated to GrossMargin.

Hope this Helps,

Kranthi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lip Chean,

You can have one Category to take the value on top down and then use BPC's allocation engine, this data can be allocated across different accounts, products, entities. Standard Deep dive demo of BPC has this scenario which is normally demonstrated to the prospects. Let us know what exactly you trying to do, to help you better.

Regards,

Umesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your replies so far.

I will have to look into allocation engine to understand how it works. It seems like a bit of script logic to me.

Looking at Apshell, i am wondering where the logic that dictates that ICsales and ExtSales will sum up as TotRev, whereas GrossMargin is equivalent to TotRev deducted by CostofGoods. I know this is the right logic, i just don't know where it's done. Any inputs are appreciated.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi... have you tried defining them using formula property in the member sheet of Account dimension (Worksheet logic). It should work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry for mistake... please correct it as Dimension Logic (i refered it as worksheet logic earlier).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

that's what i thought as well, definition in the "formula" column in the dimension member excel sheet. However the cell is empty so i think it should be located somewhere else.

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lokesh,

I am wondering if we can communicate directly via email. you can reach me at sohlic(at)yahoodot.com

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lip,

As you said, you can have two different categories (one for Top-Down, and one for Bottom-up). Or you can add a new dimension as VERSION and capture both Top-Down and Bottom-up values.

Usually the Granularity of Top-Down and Bottom-Up differs. Top down may be at Product group level or at a Year level or at Region level or at Account group level. These values are allocated to Bottom-up which may be at Product level or Period level or Entity level or at individual account level.

You can create a simple BPF as follows:

Step 1 - Input schedule for Top-Down budgeting

Step 2 - Allocation

Step 3 - Input schedule for Bottom-up budgeting

Step 4 - Review and compare Top--Down and Bottom-up

Step 5 - Approval and Work status lock by freezing the budget values.

If required, you can create an Unassigned member which will capture budgeting values at Hierarchy node level. Because we can plan only at Base level members.

Depending on requirements this scenario can change drastically.

regards,

Lokesh Nandula