cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read XML data from Seagates Crystal Report 8.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I have VS 2003 project integrated to Seagate Crystal Reports 8.0. Now I badly need to integrate XML data with the reports done in Crystal Reports 8.0 dynamically from the VS 2003 project. I am able to write into XML from VB .NET 2003. But unable to refer the XML file from Crystal Reports as a data source.

I want the solution only for VS2003 and Crystal Report 8.0 combination. Because I am able to refer the XML in other versions like VS 2005, but my existing project is 2003 and I cannot redo/convert the project /report versions for time being.

Can anyone help out in this regard?

Any help in this regard would highly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mari,

please post some more details:

Are you talking about Seagate Crystal Report 8.0 which is a fairly old product or about Crystal Report 2008 and VS 2003?

Also, are you talking about XML files as data source for Crystal Report or about Crystal Report as data source for an XML file?

If you have a ready solution for VS 2005 you can post some code that we can see if we have similar code for VS 2003.

Thanks for more details

Falk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Falk,

Nice talking to you. Thanks for your immediate response.

As for reports, it is Seagate Crystal Reports 8.0 only and not 2008. Yes, I am talking about the old version only.

Then for data source, it is XML file as data source for a report developed in Crystal Report 8.0. The idea is that I will save the dataset from my application into an XML file and refer it thereafter from the external reports done in Crystal Reports 8.0. Here the thing to be noticed is the report done in Crystal Report 8.0 version will not be inclued in the VS 2003 solution/package. The reports are external to the project. These reports will be included as part of the package and distributed to the client.

If it is inbuilt report, we are able to refer the XML file as data source either in VS 2003 or VS 2005. We did a fair amount of testing on it as well. But our requirement forces us to focus on VS 2003 and Crystal Reports 8.0 blend only since the project is already in place in production.

No ready solution is avilable from my end.

Thanks again,

Mari

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As you are working with a version of Crystal Reports that has been out of support for close to 10 years, it will be very, very difficult to provide any help at all. E.g.;

1) CR 8 is not supported

2) As CR 8 does not ship with any .NET SDK, you can only use the COM based RDC (craxdrt.dll)

3) No version of the RDC is not supported in .NET

4) Distribution of the CR runtime may be, most likely will be problematic at best

I would stronly recommend searching the notes (kbses) for relevant solutions. The notes search page is here:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/businessobjects-notes

Please note that [this|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes/sdn_oss_boj_erq/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes.do] kbase does not apply as it is specific to CR 9 and higher. (The CR database engine was completely rewritten in CR 9 and the properties in the above described do not apply to CR 8.)

In my opinion, you are asking for huge problems trying to incorporate CR 8 into .NET. My recommendation would be to download CR XI release 2 evaluation and see how quickly you can move to this. I realize you say that your app is well advanced, but you have no idea the issues you will encounter using CR 8.

If you do decide to go with CR XI r2, you can still use the RDC. CR XI r2 is the last version to ship the RDC as this technology has been retired in the currently shipping version of CR (CR 2008). Nevertheless, the note above re connecting to XML will apply. You will still have issue deploying the CR runtime, however it can be made to work. If you do decide to follow up on my recommendation and upgrade to CR XI r2, let me know and I will supply necessary resources so that you can distribute the CR XI r2 runtime.

Ludek

Answers (0)