cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New "client" term i NW04s and ERP2005

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have just started digging into NW04s, CRM2005 and ERP2005, and the first thing that striks me is that the old classical SAP "client" term has gone missing. Finally SAP have started to use the word "client" as the rest of the world, BUT this is quite confusing for me as I am very used to the SAP "client" term. I have tried to find information on what replaced the old client term in these newer versions. Is is not possible anymore to install multiple "clients" (as the word was used before)in one system (e.g. dev client (CLNT100), unit test client(CLNT200), sandbox client (CLNT300) in the DEV system)?

Any response is much appreciated:)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Welcome to SDN.

I am not sure about what you are saying about "Client".

<i>Is is not possible anymore to install multiple "clients" (as the word was used before)in one system (e.g. dev client (CLNT100), unit test client(CLNT200), sandbox client (CLNT300) in the DEV system)?</i>

yes it is possible. i have tried with the sneak preview of ABAP NW2004s which is available from sdn download area.

Regards

Raja

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

With Netweaver 2004s SAP has changed the terminology dramatically. I think what you are refering to is the install of Clients, Usage Types, and variants. Which are tied to specific IT Scenarios and IT Practices.

Please let me know if this is where your confusion is coming from and I can explain it in more detail.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Dominic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dominic,

Yes I think you're on to something, and I would appreciate if you could explain this some more, alternatively point me to some reference material.

Thanks,

Odd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I am happy to explain. Starting with NW04s, the terminology in the install guides and even SAPINST has changed drastically. For example, lets say that in NW04 I wanted to install the Enterprise Portal, BW, and push some reports out to the Portal. With NW04s, I would review a particular scenario ( I think there are 21) and determine the best fit. So for example there are scenarios like "Running and Enteprise Portal", or "Enterprise Reporting, Query, and Analysis". Once you determine the proper scenario, you can then take advantage of the new guided installation and properly install the required usage types and variants (not called systems anymore).

I could go on and on but I suggest that you go to the quicklink "it-scenarios" in the Service Marketplace. There is plenty of documentation there.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Dominic