cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generation of security reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the best way to create a report with security / privilege data stored in CMS?

Thanks,

Rick P.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amrsalem1983
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you have the access to the CMS database and you know the structure of the database, you can easly create those reports,

or another way, to create it from the Audit database,

good luck

Amr

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been told that the only way to access the contents of the CMS database is via SDK calls. Is it easy to create reports using the SDK?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rick,

Why do you want to access the CMS database for reporting? I assume it's to create reports similar to what one can do with the Query Builder.

The SDK does not directly query the CMS database. It instead queries tables in CMS memory (which are analogous to tables in the CMS database).

While it is not very difficult to create these reports, it is fairly involved and requires a significant time investment (at least the first time, getting to know the SDK etc.).

Is there some specific information you are looking for in the CMS database?

Also, I would like to point out that the CMS database is separate from the Audit database. The Audit database does not contain the same information as the CMS database. Also, one should not, in any way modify the CMS database.

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any documentation available on the structure of the CMS database. For example, is there any way to determine the name (SI_NAME) of a report from the CMS database only? I don't believe there is. I was wondering if Business Objects has any further information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srinvas,

Here is a link to the SDK Developer's Library, which may be of help to you:

[http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXIR2/en/devsuite.htm]

Thanks,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

I apologize for the vague question.My question was whether I could get the requisite information directly (using sql against the CMS schema) as apposed to the SDK/Query Builder.

Thanks.

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srinvas,

The two databases are separate. The CMS on your RDBMS is part of a relational set of 5 tables designed to work together amongst themselves and with the other dataset that resides in memory while BO is running. The data that you query from in the Query Builder is the other set of data that is kept in memory, with some of the QB data pointing to the CMS RDBMS. Here is a for instance:

I use QB to look at the entries and there is a column called SI_RUID and a value of "Ab.VQHY4Jl1DuYxDS6j_JIc".

I go to my DB server and select * from cms_infoobjects5 where si_ruid='Ab.VQHY4Jl1DuYxDS6j_JIc' and I get one row back, but its value in SI_RUID is "0x41622E56514859344A6C31447559784453366A5F4A4963". I'm thinking that one of these data sets has the hex values for the other, however, the SI_Name is only visible to me in the QB side, not the RDBMS. So, the two work hand-in-hand by some fashion, but it is all treated as metadata at the BO level -- stuff we don't need to worry about, it's just there and it works.

Is there a specific reason that you need to know the SI_Name?

Thanks,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

My question was initially to Amr from BO/SAP, who quoted the following:

if you have the access to the CMS database and you know the structure of the database, you can easly create those reports,

or another way, to create it from the Audit database,

good luck

Amr

My point was that BO does not encourage users to query the CMS DB directly. Besides, one can't really query the CMS DB if one doesn't know what it contains. Thus, my question to Amr was whether BO had any documentation on the structure of the CMS database, how one can use it to retrieve meaningful information.

I used the SI_NAME field as an example. i.e. one can obtain the SI_NAME only from QB and not from the CMS DB.

Thanks.

Srinivas

Answers (0)