cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data gets cut off after 20 characters

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a subreport that queries data from a table. The data is first and last name and displays it on the form.

The problem I am having is that the last name column on the database has a size of 25 characters, anytime a last name is greater than 20 characters in size, it will only display the first 20 characters, and nothing after that.

I have verified that the field is wide enough to fit this information, I have also added text following the last name and it all displays correctly, however the last name is always cut off at the 20th character.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

What version of Crystal are you using?

Is this in an application or are you using Crystal Report Designer?

What Database are you using and how are you connecting, ODBC, OLE DB, Native etc.?

If you copy the SQL from the reprot and run it in a third party DB test SQL tool what happens?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using XI R2.

This report is within a VB.NET application. I am using OLE DB with MS SQL 2005.

If I try the SQL query on the server, it returns the correct value.

There are other places within the same report where the last name value shows up correctly.

I have also found out that the column size for last name was 20 characters and has been changed to 25 recently (after the report was created).

Could this have anything to do with it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

what version of .net you are using?

Try with Setting "No Printer" option in report because it uses default screen resolution, so would give you less fine-grained formatting.

Hope that helps!!

Regards,

Amit

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have also found out that the column size for last name was 20 characters and has been changed to 25 recently (after the report was created).

Could this have anything to do with it.

- Yup, it sure could. Open the report in the designer and go to the File menu. Select Report Options. Find "Verify on first refresh" and enable that. You might as well enable "Verify stored procedures on first refresh", while you're at it. Save the report. See if that helps.

You can also do similar verify in code:

Report.VerifyDatabase

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it was a resizing issue. It works now.

Thank you all for your replies.

Answers (0)