Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL message The time stamp counter of CPU on scheduler id 5 is not synchron

phuong_luu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello.

I receive the following message in the SQL error log few times a day:

"The time stamp counter of CPU on scheduler id 5 is not synchronized with other CPUs."

There are quite a few posts on the internet @SQL community forum and look like this is not an error message, it is an information message and have no impact on SQL system performance. Any comments from anyone!!!!!

BTW I am running SQL2005 with SP02 on ECC 6.0 platform.

Best regards,

Phuong.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

this message means that the high performance counter on the CPUs are out of sync. These counters are controlled by the HAL of your system. Ask your hardware vendor for an updated version.

You might ignore this message, as it has no direct impact on the performance of the system. But the performance counter, that the system and SQL Server are collecting, are no longer trustworthy. We have seen negative query runtimes caused by this, as the query starts on one CPU and ends on the other CPU. If the query runtime now is smaller than the time gap, the runtime might become negative.

You can see this in the R/3 as well. Check ST06 -> detailed analysis -> Hardware info -> system.

Regards

Clas

phuong_luu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello, Clas.

I reviewed Microsoft KB931279, it recommends to enable SQL server processor affinity. Any comments on this recommendation???? or better obtain the fix from hardware vendor????

Best regards,

Phuong.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

I'm facing the same problem after applying SP2 for SQL2005.

I've also applied affinity mask but it didn't work. If your processor AMD Opteron processors, it's said to be a solution from AMD...