Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC SPM (FF): impact on back end performance

vdoux
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

A customer want to know if documentation exist that shows the impact on performance to log data records in tables.

Information in the firefighter log only takes place if parameter rec/client in the system profile is set correctly. But how to know the impact of such configuration?

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vincent,

I never came across any such documentation which tells about the performance impact because of log generation.

But I fully agree that this has become a common question that most customers ask.

Actually, It doesn't matter if you have Firefighter in place or not your SAP R/3 system still generates logs of all user activities, and Firefighter gathers log information from R/3 and present it on the web interface in a well designed report.

Please note that, Firefighter gathers logging information from the following:

u2022 Statistical Records/User Activities (STAT) ‐ The SAP Systems also log activities categorized by transaction and user in statistical records.

u2022 Change Documents (CDHDR) ‐ The SAP Systems capture changes with change documents, i.e. entries into the CDHDR table.

u2022 Transactions ‐ All transactions that are successfully entered are reported (whether any updates were made or not).

u2022 Programs Executed ‐ If transactions SA38 or SE38 are executed and a program is run, the program name will be reported.

Apart from this, Firefighter does create it's own tables at backend which are used to log user activities.

For example, In case of Reason codes, a table is maintained at backend and the firefighter user logon information and activities are recorded with respect to a reason code, but that doesn't mean that, there will be any impact on the system's usual performance. It is just like any other SAP Program which needs it's own tables and need to gather information from some of the default tables. That's it.

One thing to note here is that, if you do not have firefighter the SAP R/3 system still captures user's activities and maintain an audit trail but with Firefighter you have an advantage of effective firefighter strategy and well organized detailed, web reporting.

I am sorry i do not have any technical performance measuring documentation with respect to log generation. But I feel that there won't be any performance issue.

I hope that helps,

Thanks & Regards,

Amol Bharti

Answers (0)