cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control access to Portal Service in EP 7.0?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have developed a portal service, which is published on the EP 7.0 server as a web service. The service is published in high safety zone and hence only users with adminitrative priveleges can access the service.

How can i create a user, which can be used only to access this service but doesnt have priveleged access to the EP Server, some thing like a service user?

I would be grateful, if some one could point me to some resources on the web or give me some hints.

Regards

Kalpesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kalpesh,

a pure service user will not be enough. You need a user which can actually logon to your EP but can only access your web service:

You will have to create a named user in the UME and give the user read permissions to the security zone where your web service is located.

Than you can access your web service with this user using Username/PWD in basicauthentication.

If you do not assign this user to any roles/groups the user will be able to logon to your EP but then will receive a message that it is not assign to any role and will not get any content.

Best regards,

Stefan Brauneis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan

I tried the approach you suggested, i even gave the user owner permission and end-user permissions, but still i am still unable to access the web-service with the new user. You mentioned about basic authentication, how would it effect my service if i change my ep server to use SSL, would the user still be able to access the service?

Regards

Kalpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan

I created a user with no roles assigned to it as per your suggestion, but i have a small concern, which i am not able to sort out. It would be nice if you can give me some suggestion as what i might be doing wrong.

My problem is if i assign the user to the lowest level in Securtiy Zone hierarchy, that is the service itself i am not able to access the service. If i assign the user permission on the base Security Zone folder i.e. the folder which contains all the Security Zones i am able to access the service. If i assign permission to user at any other level i am not able to access it.

I dont know what i might be doing wrong, but it is making a bit frustrated. Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Kalpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kalpesh,

it definatly works as I described it. We use this approach very offten.

Please check, if you have assign End User-Permissions.

You should also check, if you have choosen the correct Security Zone/Security Level. If you have assigned your service to a security zone and then change this configuration and redeploy your application the old assignment does not get deleted or updated!

Perhaps you should also check your portal version. Which version are you currentyl runing?

Best regards,

Stefan Brauneis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan

Thanks for replying. I finally got it working: following are the steps i needed to perform

1) remove the deployed application

2) cleaned all the unused security zones

3) redeployed the application

4) assigned permission to the root folder of the deployed application

Thanks for suggestion.

Regards

Kalpesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kalpesh,

Kindly go through this linkit may help u .

[Service User|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/f9/e3162ec55f4df6922d161f3785012a/frameset.htm]

Regards.

Soni Vinit