cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM: Support of more than one transport layer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

We would like to implement ChaRM for the 3 tier landscape (DEV:100 --> QAS:200 --> PRD:100) with several transport layers and transport routes:

a) u201CZDEVu201D u2013 Standard transport layer

b) u201CSAPu201D u2013 SAP transport layer

c) u201CYCSTu201D u2013 transport layer for internal customizing

d) u201CZEXTu201D u2013 transport layer for external vendor

All the transport layers should be used for the transports from DEV:100 to QAS:200 within ChaRM.

Our question:

Does ChaRM support several transport layers (SAP and none-SAP)?

Or does it accept only standard transport layer

(u201CSAPu201D and u201CZDEVu201D, but it doesnu2019t support u201CYCSTu201D and u201CZEXTu201D)?

Thank you very much!

regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

ChaRM only supports one (the standard) transport layer per client. I've already told you that some days ago... You can trust me I've configured those landscapes several times for many customers.

Enclosed please find a statement from SAP:

Transports are supported in the standard transport layer of each client. When you configure transport routes, note that only consolidation routes that are assigned to the standard transport layer of the relevant exporting client are taken into consideration. For each exporting client, exactly one target client and one target group are permitted.

We recommend that you assign exactly one development system to a production system, and that these two systems are connected by exactly one unique transport track.

If a development system and a production system are connected by more than one transport track, this may lead to inconsistencies within the transport distribution. This type of transport configuration cannot be supported by Change Request Management, and may cause inconsistencies within the tools involved.

So you have to change your TMS configuration and the assignment of transport layers to development packages. e.g. use transport layer SAP and ZDEV

Then it is possible to use ChaRM and standard TMS together

regards

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

thank you very much! I trust you

But I cannot believe that this problem does not apply for other cutomers.

Because I am sure the customers also have different transport layers (SAP and none-SAP).

We have e.g. one transport layer "YABC" that will be requiered from software vendor.

So we do not have the possibility to migrate this transport layer to standard transport layer.

Do you heared about the report "TMWFLOW/SET_TRACK_GENERATION"?

Thank you again!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thom,

why don't you use ZDEV and SAP for ChaRM/Non-ChaRM and YABC only for Non-ChaRM transports?

All three transport layers have to be client specific. ZDEV is the standard transport layer.

You can define multiple transport layers in TMS - but ChaRM supports only the standard transport layer (you can't use YABC within ChaRM).

With this report you can prevent the creating of the SAP transport layer track for ChaRM. I haven't used this report until now...

regards

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

>why don't you use ZDEV and SAP for ChaRM/Non-ChaRM and YABC only for Non-ChaRM transports?

Because some of objects assigned to none-Standard transport layer should also be included to ChaRM appraoch.

The problem we can make all the transport layer client specific, but we transport from the same client in DEV-system to same client of QAS-system.

Thank you very much again

regards

Holger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

>why don't you use ZDEV and SAP for ChaRM/Non-ChaRM and YABC only for Non-ChaRM transports?

Could I use several transport layers (ChaRM and non-ChaRM) for the same consolidation way (DEV:100 --> QAS:200) as follows?

ZDEV and SAP for transport within ChaRM (DEV:100 --> QAS:200)

YCST, ZEXT for transport without ChaRM (DEV:100 --> QAS)

Thank you very much!

Holger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Holger,

no, that's not possible. Only one layer per client.

Regards

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

is it possible to add 2 clients in DEV system and assign them a other standard transport layer then in DEV:100?

The goal of this approach is to hold all the transport layer into ChaRM or do you have a other/better suggestion?

Thank you very much!

regards

Thom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thom,

that's possible. But keep in mind that some transport objects have client dependant components (e.g. forms).

So be careful if you want to use a development package in another client (if you assign the transport layer to another client).

Regards

Andy