Online or Offline Backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I'm a little confuse about backup strategy

I'm implement Whole Database Online + redo log backup everyday at 9 pm

I've read all the post about online and offline backup in this forum

Most of them suggest to do an offline backup once a week

For this company, I think we can not adopt this strategy (7x24) because there is a lot of work to do by users in this company. Our business process run for 24 hours everyday

I have 3 question regarding online and offline backup :

1. Is the content will be the same between an offline backup and if I'm using Whole Database Online + redo log backup --> assume we do the backup in the same day and same hour --> Will I lose some directory or file system if I use online backup?

2. Since I'm using Whole Database Online + redo log backup , is the restore procedure is the same as restore from offline backup?

2. What is the different between Whole Database Online + redo log backup and Full Database Online + redo log backup?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Della

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Is the content will be the same between an offline backup and if I'm using Whole Database Online + redo log backup --> assume we do the backup in the same day and same hour --> Will I lose some directory or file system if I use online backup?

Sure, the contents will be the same... the only difference is that the online backup require the redo logs to take the system to an specific point in time.

2. Since I'm using Whole Database Online + redo log backup , is the restore procedure is the same as restore from offline backup?

Again, the only difference is that the online backup require the redo logs to take the system to an specific point in time.

3. What is the different between Whole Database Online + redo log backup and Full Database Online + redo log backup?

Huh?

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

ANS.Sure possibilities is there because online some body was insert the date then u cann't take it for backup .

ANS.Same nothing differece.

2. What is the different between Whole Database Online + redo log backup and Full Database Online + redo log backup?

ANS.Whole Database Online + redo log backup=Full Database Online + redo log backup same.

BR,

kk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Offline Backup:-

-

The database is shut down before backup starts, that means database files are copied to backup media while they are closed. If the database has been shut down safely (which is standard when using SAP tools), data is backed up in a consistent state, and it can be restored even without redo log files.

Online Backup:-

-

The database remains open during the backup, and activities can take place (data can be modified) during this time. Obviously, data blocks copied to the backup medium at the beginning of the backup procedure may correspond to an older system change number (SCN) than those backed up at the end. To restore a consistent database from such backup, you need at least the redo information written during the time of the backup procedure, so that all blocks in the restored database can be recovered to a state corresponding to the time of the

end of the backup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

thanks for your quick reply

Krishna,

"2. Since I'm using Whole Database Online + redo log backup , is the restore procedure is the same as restore from offline backup?"

ANS.Same nothing differece.

but based on Vajha statement about online backup :

To restore a consistent database from such backup, you need at least the redo information written during the time of the backup procedure, so that all blocks in the restored database can be recovered to a state corresponding to the time of the end of the backup.

do I need to backup another redo log everyday? (beside the online backup itself)

so... is it still the same procedure with offline? I think offline backup didn't need redo information because it is writen on the same tape and same time

3. What is the different between Whole Database Online + redo log backup and Full Database Online + redo log backup?

ANS.Whole Database Online + redo log backup=Full Database Online + redo log backup same.

If both of them are same, why we can choose that two option on DB13 - DBA Planning Calendar?

Thanks

Regards,

Della