cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial copy of the Database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I need to make a partial copy of the Database, as I do from the sap? or how can I make from oracle? if possible?

What we require is to make a copy of the configuration data SPROM and a copy two months ago of data

greetings!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

Edith,

TDMS is a tool to copy Master and transactional data or a subset of them, typically from production to a non production system (QAS, training, Production Fix, Preproduction,...) in order to populate those system with "production-like data".

TDMS will not transfer customizing and development.

This tool avoid doing system refresh from production. This has many advantages I will not list here.

But I am not sure it answer your question, because the

"configuration data SPROM" : Usually, configuration data is moved from one system to an other by transport.

"copy two months ago of data": I guess you are talking about Master and/or transactionnal data. For this only a product like TDMS can help you. Backup/Restore or system refresh will restore the whole system at a specific point in time. I am not sure it is what you are looking for.

Best regards.

Frank Markarian

Principal consultant

SAP America.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There´s a special product call "TDMS - Test Data Migration Server" which is able to copy only a certain amount of data.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

For some commentators that the tool TDMS - Test Data Migration Server has a high cost, that there is another option?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

TDMS cost is a reality and we cannot test AD-HOC and to test it, if you don't see the product working in this case is difficult to propose to a specific customer. Anyway....

I've posted several times a way to create a small system with a partial data copy. But unfortunately I cannot find the posts... looking forward...

you can copy your development system and ....

1. delete client

2. do a remote client copy from production or quality system, but exclude the biggest tables, usually the transactional tables. I always restrict to 200mb within DB02

3. then you'll have to separate the cluster from transparent tables. Cluster tables (KOCLU, RFBLG, .... ) has to be exported and imported via R3trans

4. the big transparent tables could be copied via sqlplus with COPY function, but selecting the relevant date or fiscal year field. FI and CO tables work with period field.

5. finally you need to copy NRIV table with R3TRANS

this could be a lot of work.... specially if you don't know the SAP ECC tables. BTW... this is only applicable in ERP and R/3 systems.

Cheers,

0 Kudos

Hello,

QAS (or test) systems should be build the cleanest way possible.

Remote client copy is not something I would advise. It requires to have source and target systems align with the same structure (same SP, same transport level,u2026), and it will transport client dependant objects, until you specify to move also client independent objects, then it will overwrite the objects in the target system (development, printer definitions, RFC,u2026).

NRIV table should not be copied between systems, even a subset of this table. Number range should be adjusted individually on each system.

Also, if your systems are validated by regulation or industry standards (pharma, banking,u2026), you can not overwrite your QAS from any system (DEV or PRD)

But we are still not sure about Edithu2019s motivation, and what she means by partial restore. Is it motivated to get master and transactional data in QAS to test for the next Go-live rollout? Is it a copy from the production system? Is it to align PRD and QAS in term of customizing in order to prepare for the next rollout because there is a change management gap between 2 systems? Is it to get an older version of customizing?

Thanks in advance

Best regards.

Frank Markarian

Principal consultant

SAP America.

Former Member
0 Kudos

but I can not have a complete copy of the database because I do not have the infrastructure, the database is of PRO 1800 GB and QAS is 500 GB, only requires passing the most current information.

thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

but I can not have a complete copy of the database because I do not have the infrastructure, the database is of PRO 1800 GB and QAS is 500 GB, only requires passing the most current information.

Then TDMS (or a likewise product) would fit best.

Doing those steps manually require a huge amount of knowledge of all tables in the SAP system and how they interact with each other. Since this is information is not stored in the database itself but in the SAP data dictionary it can be very cumbersome to find that out manually.

The normal client copy doesn´t have any logic about the content of the tables, it just copies them completely. The product containing that knowledge is TDMS (no, I´m not trying to advertise here) and there are other products on the market who can do things likewise.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok,

Thank you very much everybody for their help, many apologies for my translation

Best regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's not possible for your requirements.

For customizing table, you can import the related Trs into system.

For "two months aga of data", you can restore the backup.

Regards,

Jack

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I need to make a partial copy of the Database, as I do from the sap? or how can I make from oracle? if possible?

What exactly do you mean by that?

Do you want to copy single tables?

> What we require is to make a copy of the configuration data SPROM and a copy two months ago of data

Is SPROM a table?

And what is "a copy two months ago of data"???

Sorry, please rephrase your question, so that we know what you want to do.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I need to export a portion of the database to another environment.

I recommend using the transaction SCC8 through the parameter SAP_CUST / SAP_CUSV, do you think is the right thing?

greetings