cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is server startup/shutdown so S L O W?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have used several application servers and NetWeaver ranks #1 in worst server startup/shutdown time. How can it take 3 1/2 minutes for server startup? About 2 minutes for shutdown?

In comparison, WebLogic 8.1 takes about 25 seconds for startup and about 12 seconds for shutdown. What the heck is NetWeaver doing that takes it so long?

Finally, why is there no restart option in SAPMMC?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Could you please tell what all Netweaver components are present on the server?

About the starting of netweaver taking 3 1/2 minutes.

It depends entirely on the components installed from the Netweaver stack which is a very complex system. For the entire application to be up each of the components need to be started and each inturn need the related Services to be started and runing. and this takes time.

We will see if we have only a java standalone system or only a pure ABAB system the startup of system wont take much time.

Wheras in case of weblogic the funcationality is not as complex and hence doesnot take so long.

However the startup of the system is also dependent on the hardware configuration also.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As for installed components, I just picked the default options when I installed it on my developer system. Why does NetWeaver need to start every possible component if many of them are not being used? Is there a note that describes how to change the configuration to reduce startup/shutdown time? NetWeaver administration is a nightmare with having to use multiple apps.

BEA may contest your "not as complex" statement but the benefits of Weblogic is that it only starts what I need. Their web administration interface is clean and easy to use. I can start/stop weblogic within eclipse. I can see all server output in a window (even within Eclipse if started from there) without having to dig through multiple log files as I'm forced to with NetWeaver. NetWeaver is simply not as developer friendly and takes a lot more time to develop portable J2EE applications in.

Also, why does NetWeaver require local admin rights on windoze to start the server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

3 1/2 minutes -- thats actually pretty fast in the SAP world!!

The reason there is not restart in the MMC is because there is actually a couple scripts in the back end that do the starting and stopping of SAP.

Regards,

Dominic

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the application server world, 3 1/2 minutes is extremely poor. As I stated in my original post, compare that to 25 seconds for Weblogic startup.

As for the restart, how hard can it be to call the stop script and then the start script? SAP should document the scripts and I can write a quick script to call them myself. I'd rather see a fast text only restart then a very poor equivalent in a mediocre gui app.