cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports date formatting problems for Australia and Japan

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are having a problem with our Crystal Reports in Australia and Japan in which the report does not correctly format the date fields. We have done several tests in which I feel we have demonstrated the problem lies with the Crystal Report. Here is some information on the situation:

1. The Siebel application works as expected. The object manager is using the Australian locale.

2. There is a "globalization" tag in the "system.web" segment of the web.config file for the .NET reporting files. There is a parameter called "culture" that dynamically formats dates and times. We have set this culture to "en-AU" which is the Microsoft suggested value for Australia.

3. When we launch a report the date format does not follow the Australian date format.

4. Changed the culture to 'en-AU' for Australia Production web.config - didn't work

5. Changed the culture to 'en-AU' for Australia Test web.config - didn't work

7. Changed the culture to 'en-AU' for Support Test web.config - didn't work

9. Changed the culture to 'de-CH' for Australia Test web.config - worked

In summary, Australia and japan cultures didn't work anywhere including existing working websites, but the German culture worked where the Australia and Japan wouldn't.

We are leaning toward Crystal Reports as the culprit an not IIS. Is there anything we are missing for these two countries?

I found this message for 2006 that is similar https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=16466570&messageID=5561274.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Need more details-

Crystal Reports version?

SP applied on it?

.net version?

what runtimes used to deploy?

Regards,

Amit

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just in case anyone else is having similar issues I have finally found that this was a bug in the Crystal Viewer. I have resolved my issue by going upgrading my application using VS 2008 with the Crystal Viewer for XI SP 2.

-

I pasted what I found below -

Document Type "Business Objects Notes"

1219008 - Dates appear in U.S. format though Regional Settings are set to another language

Language: English Version: 2 Validity: 20.01.2009 - active

Symptom

In Crystal Reports XI, dates fields appear in the U.S. date format when Regional Settings are changed to a language other than U.S. English.

Cause

The issue has been identified and tracked under ID ADAPT00467131.

Resolution

Hot Fixes or Service Packs address this issue as indicated below. With the update(s), this issue is resolved.

Unless indicated otherwise, Weekly Hot Fix updates from the FTP site have only been tested with English versions of our products.

====================

CAUTION:

Hot Fixes and Service Packs are not designed for OEM versions. Do not apply these updates if you are using an OEM version. To determine if you are using an OEM version, refer to the OEM Product Warning.

====================

BusinessObjects Enterprise XI

-

For BusinessObjects Enterprise XI, the latest update for this issue is available on the Downloads area of our web site.

This issue is addressed in the following components (and later versions):

CrystalDecisions.Shared.dll, version 11.0.9500.54, dated 7/29/2005

CrystalDecisions.Shared.resources.dll, version 11.0.9500.54, dated 7/29/2005

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would still appreciate confirmation that this was a problem with the framework, version 1.1, and crystal, version 11.0.33, combination. Are you able to query historical issues where this might have been identified?

I have since my last update. I have updated my crystal references to version 11.5.37 in my VS 2008 environment, which is targeting the 2.0 framework, to confirm the results.

If there is another solution that would not require a drastic re-deployment would be preferred if possible.

Thanks.

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've got this working with 11.0 in the 1.1 framework and 11.5 in the 2.0 framework. I ran into a few issues with the multilanguage settings due to small errors in the web.config file. I've posted my web.config below.

You can also look at the sample called CS_Web_Multilingual in the CR_NET_SDK_Tutorial_Sample_Code.zip file on your dev system. You should find it here C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Crystal Reports 11\Developer Files\Help\En

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  <configuration>
    <configSections>
      <sectionGroup name="businessObjects">
        <section name="crystalReports11"
                 type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler, System, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, Custom=null" />
      </sectionGroup>
    </configSections>

<businessObjects>
      <crystalReports11>
         <add key ="UseBrowserLocale" value="true"/>
      </crystalReports11>
    </businessObjects>

<system.web>

<!--  DYNAMIC DEBUG COMPILATION
          Set compilation debug="true" to enable ASPX debugging.  Otherwise, setting this value to
          false will improve runtime performance of this application. 
          Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging symbols (.pdb information)
          into the compiled page. Because this creates a larger file that executes
          more slowly, you should set this value to true only when debugging and to
          false at all other times. For more information, refer to the documentation about
          debugging ASP.NET files.
    -->
    <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true"><assemblies><add assembly="CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/><add assembly="CrystalDecisions.ReportSource, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/><add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Shared, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/><add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/><add assembly="CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/><add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Framework, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/><add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.InfoStore, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/><add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Web, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/></assemblies></compilation>

<!--  CUSTOM ERROR MESSAGES
          Set customErrors mode="On" or "RemoteOnly" to enable custom error messages, "Off" to disable. 
          Add <error> tags for each of the errors you want to handle.

"On" Always display custom (friendly) messages.
          "Off" Always display detailed ASP.NET error information.
          "RemoteOnly" Display custom (friendly) messages only to users not running 
           on the local Web server. This setting is recommended for security purposes, so 
           that you do not display application detail information to remote clients.
    -->
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/> 

<!--  AUTHENTICATION 
          This section sets the authentication policies of the application. Possible modes are "Windows", 
          "Forms", "Passport" and "None"

"None" No authentication is performed. 
          "Windows" IIS performs authentication (Basic, Digest, or Integrated Windows) according to 
           its settings for the application. Anonymous access must be disabled in IIS. 
          "Forms" You provide a custom form (Web page) for users to enter their credentials, and then 
           you authenticate them in your application. A user credential token is stored in a cookie.
          "Passport" Authentication is performed via a centralized authentication service provided
           by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile services for member sites.
    -->
    <authentication mode="Windows"/> 

<!--  AUTHORIZATION 
          This section sets the authorization policies of the application. You can allow or deny access
          to application resources by user or role. Wildcards: "*" mean everyone, "?" means anonymous 
          (unauthenticated) users.
    -->

<authorization>
        <allow users="*"/> <!-- Allow all users -->
            <!--  <allow     users="[comma separated list of users]"
                             roles="[comma separated list of roles]"/>
                  <deny      users="[comma separated list of users]"
                             roles="[comma separated list of roles]"/>
            -->
    </authorization>

<!--  APPLICATION-LEVEL TRACE LOGGING
          Application-level tracing enables trace log output for every page within an application. 
          Set trace enabled="true" to enable application trace logging.  If pageOutput="true", the
          trace information will be displayed at the bottom of each page.  Otherwise, you can view the 
          application trace log by browsing the "trace.axd" page from your web application
          root. 
    -->
    <trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false" traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true"/>

<!--  SESSION STATE SETTINGS
          By default ASP.NET uses cookies to identify which requests belong to a particular session. 
          If cookies are not available, a session can be tracked by adding a session identifier to the URL. 
          To disable cookies, set sessionState cookieless="true".
    -->
    <sessionState mode="InProc" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes" cookieless="false" timeout="20"/>

<!--  GLOBALIZATION
          This section sets the globalization settings of the application. 
    -->
    <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are multiple ways you can configure the multilingual settings in your .NET web application. Please check these settings.

- What is the value of CrystalReportViewer.UseBrowserLocale?

- Open your web.config file. Do you see UserBrowserLocale anywhere?

- Look at the source for your aspx page. What do you have Culture set to?

Check out the link below for detailed information on how we handle multilingual settings with Crystal Reports for .NET.

http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXI/en/en/CrystalReports_dotNET_SDK/crystalrepor...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks the replys. I do not have 'UserBrowserLocale' defined in the web.config file. in my aspx pages are Culture references are set to 'Culture=neutral'. My instance of the CrystalReportViewer does not have the UseBrowserLocale property.

I am using the following in my code to set the regional setting.

CrystalDecisions.Shared.SharedUtils.RequestLcid = Val(System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("CrystalRegionalSetting"))

Like I mentioned above it is working for other locales just not Australia or Japan (it is only these locales that are not working at least that we have noticed so far).

Thanks,

Brett

Edited by: Brett Childress on Sep 30, 2008 9:43 PM

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The Lcid thing doesn't work anymore. You'll need to use the methods outlined in the documentation.

http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXI/en/en/CrystalReports_dotNET_SDK/crystalrepor...

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

Thanks for the reply. Did the Lcid property quit working after 2005 when this reporting application was developed? Can you confirm that the "en-AU" locale has worked? I ask this because our app is currently working correctly for other locales, "de-CH" for instance.

Thanks,

Brett

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Brett,

I tested with en-AU yesterday and found the app worked fine with the browser based locales. If my memory serves me correctly, the Lcid wasn't ever really documented and was something we used to get the locales working in older versions. We've since come out with better options like the browser, page, or web server localization.

Try it out in a simple test app to see if it works for you. It only took me a few minutes to try out the other day.

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

What versions did you use for your test. I have been unable to reproduce your positive results using Crystal Decisions version 11.0.3300.0. and VS 2003. I have had some success with version 10.5.3700.0 and VS 2008. In my test app I am able to affect text boxes and for certain cultures crystal reports using the CurrentThread.CurrentCulture property.

In my testing it seems that all of the 'en-??' locales are displaying the US formatted short dates, I have tried this in both a web and a windows form test application with similar results. The 'ja-JP' locale problem has been corrected by using the CurrentThread.CurrentCulture property.

I would like to confirm that there is not a resolution for our currently deployed version, as to the amount of effort required to patch will be more difficult if we have to change the Crystal controls. Maybe you can search the release notes to find if when/if this has been addressed.

Does this forum include the historical data loaded or does it just have recent issues? It seems like this would be a fairly common problem.

Thanks,

Brett

former_member203619
Contributor
0 Kudos

Try changing the locale of the thread instead. I find it works better than setting elsewhere.

System.Globalization.CultureInfo myCulture  = new
System.Globalization.CultureInfo("it-IT", true);
System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = myCulture;

Regards,

Shawn

Former Member
0 Kudos

The only interaction our custom .NET web app has with Siebel is that it's URL is launched from within Siebel.

Version information is as follows.

CR Engine Version: 11.0.3300.0

Runtime version: v1.0.3705

Targeting the .NET 1.1 framework

MS Visual Studio 2003 version: 7.1.3088

Thanks,

Brett

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brett,

-Issue is on development or deployment machine?

-What runtimes you used to deploy?

Regards,

Shweta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shweta,

This is occurring on both production and development environments.

I am not sure I understand your question on runtimes for deployment. We used the Crystal11_NET_EmbeddedReporting.msm.

Thanks,

Brett

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yup. I'm pretty sure this is your forum:

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

The only tie that our VB.NET app has with Siebel is that it's URL is launched by a custom button in Siebel and gets its data from a Siebel database. We are not using a Siebel integration kit.

Please feel free to move this thread even though I am not using an integration kit.

Thanks,

Brett

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Just as a check - on the IIS machine, in the Windows Regional settings, are those languages enabled?

Also - another check - if you look at the report in the Crystal Reports designer, do you see special fields 'Content Locale' and 'Selection Locale', and if you put them on the report page, do they come up with the locale you've set, or en_US?

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This forum is dedicated to topics related to custom application development or deployment with Crystal Reports in .Net. This includes full versions of Crystal Reports as well as those versions of Crystal Reports bundled with Microsoft Visual Studio .Net.

In your note I note the following:

The Siebel application works as expected.

If this is a Crystal Reports integrated in Siebel, please post the query to the Integration Kits - Other forum:

That forum is dedicated to topics related to other BusinessObjects Integration Kits, including Siebel, Baan, PeopleSoft, and JD Edwards.

Ludek