cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Characters in KM Names

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

are there any restrictions regarding special characters in KM Properties or any other Km Objects? I have in mind i read somewhere about restrictions for search result set names / ids, are there are also in any other areas restrictions?

Thanks for your help,

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188556
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan

KM Folders and files will accept special characters and automtically the id of it will

be changed to _ on places of special chars like \ / .

KM Property names definitely will not accept the white space in their ID.

But there itself on the creation of it, the error message will throw up.

So why do u actually want to know in advance?

Regards

BP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BP,

we are goging to create Properties and maybe also files via the API, and therefore it would be good to know about all restrictions before we start.

So, is there any documentation about what your saying?

Thanks, Stefan

former_member188556
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan

The KM files special characters has been documented in this [Help|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/da/709b400c1fa160e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm] document.

About configurations, I couldnt find, but will post if i come across some thing

Regards

BP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

As mentioned by Bobu, the folder and file name itself is ok. The sensitive discussion is on the "ID". Also, the impact if you have a special character in folder or file name, is that it will impact on your search (via TREX).

In the standard system, you cannot search for the following characters in the content of documents or the text properties:

/ (slash), \ (backslash), ; (semicolon), , (comma), . (period), : (colon), - (hyphen), _ (underscore), () (parentheses), [] (square brackets), (angle brackets), {} (curly brackets), ! (exclamation mark), ? (question mark), * (asterisk), @ (at sign), + (plus).

If you use these characters (with the exception of question marks and asterisks) in a search term, the system searches the content of documents or the text properties for the term before and the term after the special character.

Thus..a quick conclusion if I may..

1) Folder and file name: any of your choice but will impact your portal search if you choose to use special char's in the name

2) Folder and file ID: No spacing or special char's as indicated by Bobu.

Hope that helps.

Ray

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Thus..a quick conclusion if I may..

> 1) Folder and file name: any of your choice but will impact your portal search if you choose to use special char's in the name

> 2) Folder and file ID: No spacing or special char's as indicated by Bobu.

>

> Hope that helps.

> Ray

Wow, this is misleading.

The confusion starts with saying "special", and then not define it...

The KM UI uses display names, but this doesn't affect what you can or can't put into an identifier (the RID for resources, or the property name for properties).

What RIDs can take depends on the repository manager. In the best case, it roughly allows everything that would be allowed in a Windows filename. In particular, some rules depend on position as well, such as no trailing whitespace.

Property names by definition use the same rules as XML element names (thus no whitespace at all).

BR, Julian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julian,

"The KM UI uses display names, but this doesn't affect what you can or can't put into an identifier (the RID for resources, or the property name for properties)." --- Fully agree and thats what I meant when I mentioned above that the folder and file name can be any of his choice.

The point that I want to pointout is that if you do put special char's into the name of your folder or file, then when you try to run a search via TREX, you will not be able to use those special char's in the search. Its not able putting special chars into the folder or file name...or in the foleer or file ID. Just a head-up for the requestor and that he is aware of the impact during portal search from TREX.

If my above comments causes misleading and you do not agree, pls do correct my statement for the benefit of others in the forum... its a learning curve for everyone here, also for me

Ray

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan

As per SAP Recommendation , special characters are not allowed in KM names

check below link

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/thread?tstart=1&threadID=1005309

Koti Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Koti,

thanks for your answer, but the help.sap.com link is dealing with PCD object nameing conventions.. are there any documentation about KM naming conventions?

thanks, Stefan