cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR server on different OS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

Our PRD server is running on AIX and we are planning to install aDR server for this PRD on Linux OS.

Please confirm can we install our DR server on Linux while PRD is on AIX.

Shivam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I would like to note that Linux supports JFS since kernel 2.4.18 which can be used as a kernel module. I'm not sure if actual JFS support in linux base will support JFS2 but I think if you can do a downtime on one of your AIX servers it is worthwhile of trying. Just grab a Linux LiveCD with JFS support and try to mount those JFS2 volumes. Please, be sure of backing up your data first.

On the other hand, you can ship as well your redo logs from your PRD server to your DR server without any problems using any of the file transfer utility (FTP, SFTP, NFS, ...); in fact that's what some big companies do with their redo logs.

I hope this information is valuable.

Cheers,

Antonio Huete

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam,

Now you can install SAP on Linux(DR SERVER).

But when you are going to up sap system, it will be critical. And may be not usefull as DR server.

For this situation i will suggest same platform.

warm regards

Harish K Reddy

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Now you can install SAP on Linux(DR SERVER).

> But when you are going to up sap system, it will be critical. And may be not usefull as DR server.

why not? can you explain?

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This works only if you Linux is running on Power processor (big endian), Linux x86 is little endian and you can´t import the redo logs from the AIX box.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I also read in one document of DR server that file system should be same on both servers means like if PRD's file system are in NTFS(Linux OS) then on DR server also it should be same.

Now I am not sure that in AIX also can we have same file system.

Please suggest

Shivam

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I also read in one document of DR server that file system should be same on both servers means like if PRD's file system are in NTFS(Linux OS) then on DR server also it should be same.

Linux doesn´t use NTFS (that´s "NT file system" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS). Most likely you are using EXT3 or ReiserFS on the Linux system.

It´s not a problem of the filesystem but of the endianess (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianess).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok,

So if we are using Power processor (big endian) on our Linux then we can do this activity only.

Am i right..

Shivam

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - right!

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Please confirm that if we are using power processor on our linux server then there would be no issue of file system like i said that there should be same file system and is there any other prequiste except power processor for the activity.

Shivam

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Technically it works - but you can´t "mount" the filesystem with the archivelogs, you need to transfer them using FTP (or any other file transfer tool).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

We are using JFS2 file system on our PRD AIX server.

Please suggest in this case is it possible to implement DR server on linux.

Shivam