cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Sharedvar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all, I have two reports of which I would like to merge the Records, however the problem is that both reports look at the totally different databases and date fields.

I have created one report using one database and added a subreport on the report header with other database records.

Now I would like to sharedvar formula so that I can add both report records togeather. Both reports are running total manually with the formula.

How can I get my main report work with sharedvar? That is the question

Regards

Jehanzeb

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In this situation you would typically let the subreport display the data from its datasource, and then let the main report display the data from the other datasource. You wouldn't typically use a shared variable to pass all the fields from the one subreport back to the main report. You would use a shared variable if you need to calculate a subtotal or some other summary from the subreport, so that you could pass it to the main report to add or display next to some other totals that are calculated in the main report.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So in other words I can't really merge the two records of the subreport and the main report together.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can't merge the two datasets in Crystal, although you can make them appear to be one continuous recordset if you line up the columns and remove extra whitepace. If you do it right, the only way you would be able to tell that they are not from the same dataset is the sorting. You won't be able to sort the recordsets together, only seperately.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fair answer.

I think I have to find out another way of getting the report sorted then.

Many thanks for your quick and really informative answer.

10 Stars!!

Regards

Jehanzeb

Answers (0)