Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View on a single table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

my question is: does have any sense to use a view for a single table selection ?

I need to make a selection on a db table and I haven't any value neither for the primary key nor for any secondary index.

Can I improve the table access speed in any other way ???

8 REPLIES 8

former_member188685
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For that purpose SAP created some of the Views and if table consists of many key fields and fields then it will be useful. Create the view with required fields and check the performance.

0 Kudos

Thank's

I've created a view and analyzed performance with ST05 but that transaction seems to be not too much useful...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

1. Yes. View for a single table may be.

2. If you haven't any value neither for the primary key nor for any secondary index, create new index with fiedls for your values.

0 Kudos

Thanks,

what are the side effects or things to considerate when creating index oa a db table?

Edited by: Vincenzo de Stefano on Sep 18, 2008 1:37 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

for creating an index, first you should see what all relevant fields need to be used which can be used in index creation.

So, when a select statement executes this index gets triggered for faster retrieval of data..

0 Kudos

Ok, I know what are the fields I need to create my index.

But there are side effects affecting db performance or things like that if I create an index on a table?

0 Kudos

Hello

But there are side effects affecting db performance or things like that if I create an index on a table?

Yes. For db-tables with creating new index:

1. increase the performance of READ-operations

2. decrease the performance of INSERT/MODIFY-operations

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the selection criteria are fixed (with constants in selection fields) the best way to proceed is to create a view, so every SELECT statement will read a subset of data, not all data in the table.

Otherwhise the best solution is to use idexes; you can see if indexes will have a good effect or not using transaction DB05 before creating any secondary index.