cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Table Rules vs SAP BPC defined rules

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys

I am creating a demo for LEGAL consolidation in SAP BPC 5.1. I am going through the documentation to understand the basic difference between Business Table Rules (configuring the right business rule tables and running the stored procedure) and SAP BPC defined rules (calling just ICElim.LGF for IC Elimination or FXTrans.LGF for foreign currency translation).

For some reason, it feels that just calling the defined rules in .LGF file is easy from "setting properties for dimension" point of view. However when I try to do these things using business rules, it seems that it needs more properties to set up and needs a lot more understanding on setting up the business rules.

Please confirm.

Is it that the ICEliim.LGF and FXTrans.LGF are used for simple scenarios vs. business rules for complex scenarios?

Please comment.

Thanks,

Ameya Kulkarni

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ameya,

You are right, these two options are for different purporses.

1. The logic approach should only be used for simple currency conversions and consolidations

2. The Business Rules approach can be used for more complex currency conversions and consolidations

Functionality comparison between the two approaches (High level)

1. Currency Translation

a. Logic

- simple currency translations (no flows)

b. Business Rules

- Full currency conversion with flows

- CTA calculations (in the flows and Equity CTA)

- Currency simulation possibilities (Actual @ Budget Rate)

- Usage of specific rates per entites

2. Consolidation

a. Logic

- Eliminations are performed according to the Entity dimension structure. The entries are simply reveresed into specific elimination entites

b. Business Rules

- Eliminations are performed according to the consolidation scopes defined are defined in the Ownership using the Elimination Rules defined in the Business Rules Tables.

- Supports different consolidation methods (Global, Equity, Proportional)

- Support different consolidation scopes per periods

You are right that the setup of the Business Rules is more complex (you need more properties) but you will gain a lot more flexibility as well.

I would recommend to always use the Currency Conversion Business Rules even for simple currency conversions, as it's performance is generally better.

Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ameya

You can imagine that

Logic is a free hand writing script to perform many things include currency conversion, consolidation, elimination and etc, where

Business rule is a hard coded script for special purpose like currency conversion etc.

From technical side, Business rule run faster then Logic since it is a stored procedure inside database server, especially when you have bulk of data.

But sometime, you need a special thing from the Business rule has, at that time you can archive the same thing with Logic.

Halomoan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thats a great answer, Marcel!

Now a follow up questions - If I dont want to have the accounts broken down into its activity level (flow), can I not have the SUBTABLE in my application. If yes, then how does the business rule parameters change if I dont have the SUBTABLES in my application?

Also can you give me some working examples where this flow can be used for accoutns? I know that assets can have three types of flows - Starting balance, Movements and Ending Balance. Can you give me more of such examples?

One more question - So if we are using Business Rules for Consolidation (SPRUNCONSO), do these business rules take care of Intercompany Eliminations and Consolidation (Equity, Proportional etc.) together?

Again, thanks for the help.

Ameya Kulkarni

Edited by: Ameya Kulkarni on Sep 18, 2008 6:16 PM