cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to install XI V2 SP4 from scratch - can't connect to CMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've been trying to install XI V2 SP4 from scratch - no upgrades, the full install - but haven't had any success. [This thread|; has the full details, but in short form, here's my problem:

I downloaded what was supposed to be the full install. I ran through the entire installation, and at the end it asked me to connect the CMS. I tried no password (as suggested in the documentation) and that didn't work. I tried a valid Windows Authenticated username and password, but neither was able to connect. When I looked in the SQL server database that I was configured ODBC to connect to, there were no tables in it at all.

Confused, I looked at the documentation that I had downloaded, and it said I needed SP2 or SP3 to install SP4, even though the files I downloaded were supposed to be for the full version. It also said the install would look for pre-requisites and fail if it couldn't find them, which it didn't. I'm not sure if the documentation is wrong, or if the files aren't what they're labeled, or if I'm just doing something stupid.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA,

Lee

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I presume this is some flavor of Windows. In the CCM (Central Configuration Manager), what version number is listed for each of the servers?

Are you able to connect to SQL Server from the BO server?

If you can, try re-initializing the CMS database from the CCM.

Also, if you look in the installation log, you should probably see an error regarding the CMS not starting. This should be in

<$INSTALL DIR>\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 11.5\Logging

Former Member
0 Kudos

The CMS doesn't exist, so the server wasn't starting. I worked with support on this, and we eventually changed the ODBC from using a trusted connection w/Active Directory to using a database login account. While both of them worked over ODBC, BO setup seemed to have a problem using the trusted connection method. Once we changed that, we were able to set up the CMS, and all appears fine.

Thanks for your help,

Lee