Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Duplicate DLLs in GAC and Gac_MSIL directories

This is using Crystal reports XI R2 SP2 and visual studio 2008 and .net framework 2.0.

I am having a new problem with my crystal reports project. I have a report in a visual studio 2008 project running on the .net 2.0 framework. It has a report in it that has been working well for a while. I changed the report (added page numbers on the bottom) and saved it, and everything was working well (I was able to view the updated report). I went to do a final compilation in visual studio, and now I get an error:

D:\webroot\StorageArea05\Backup\StorageArea05\Main\ViewReport.aspx.cs(20,9): error CS0433: The type 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine\11.5.3300.0__692fbea5521e1304\CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine\11.5.3700.0__692fbea5521e1304\CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll'

I started out with a removal of the reference (a rebuild gave me a good reference not found error). I then re-added the references to the project and I get the same error.

I already tried a repair of crystal reports, a uninstallation and re-installation of crystal reports and I still have the same problem. I have searched everywhere for what the difference is between the GAC and the GAC_MSIL directories, and I don't find anything useful. If I uninstall Crystal Reports again, should I just go and manually remove all the crystal decisions objects from the GAC (both directories?). I was a little confused about why when I uninstalled the product, it should leave behind all those files...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Former Member
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question