cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate DLLs in GAC and Gac_MSIL directories

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is using Crystal reports XI R2 SP2 and visual studio 2008 and .net framework 2.0.

I am having a new problem with my crystal reports project. I have a report in a visual studio 2008 project running on the .net 2.0 framework. It has a report in it that has been working well for a while. I changed the report (added page numbers on the bottom) and saved it, and everything was working well (I was able to view the updated report). I went to do a final compilation in visual studio, and now I get an error:

D:\webroot\StorageArea05\Backup\StorageArea05\Main\ViewReport.aspx.cs(20,9): error CS0433: The type 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine\11.5.3300.0__692fbea5521e1304\CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine\11.5.3700.0__692fbea5521e1304\CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll'

I started out with a removal of the reference (a rebuild gave me a good reference not found error). I then re-added the references to the project and I get the same error.

I already tried a repair of crystal reports, a uninstallation and re-installation of crystal reports and I still have the same problem. I have searched everywhere for what the difference is between the GAC and the GAC_MSIL directories, and I don't find anything useful. If I uninstall Crystal Reports again, should I just go and manually remove all the crystal decisions objects from the GAC (both directories?). I was a little confused about why when I uninstalled the product, it should leave behind all those files...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Need more info-

what version of CR you are using with VS2008.?

web or windows app?

Is it an issue on development machine or on deployment?

If you are using CR XI R2 than would like to inform that VS 2008 is not compatible with CR XI R2.

VS 2008 is compatible with CR 10.5 and with CR 2008 SP0 only.

Make sure the references included in the application are of correct version.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gregory, the references should be to CR assemblies of version 12.0.2000. If that is correct in the actual project references, also check the web.config for references to the CR assemblies.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I still do not know what the difference in the GAC and the GAC_MSIL directories are, however I found out what the problem was. Someone created a directory on the server called "backup" with a copy of an old version of the solution. It was the old version that was causing the problem. I am not sure why it suddenly decided to cause a problem today - but I removed the solution files (and the whole folder structure) and everything is compiling fine now. sorry about that...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

Have a look to plateform supported guide:

[https://websmp105.sap-ag.de/bosap-support]

Regards,

Shweta