Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matchcode- Remove Case- sensitive

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus!

I have created a search help for customer search by address attributes. Everything is working fine exceot for the fact that its case sensitive. For example if the address is stored in with an word 'Park' and in the search help we seach by 'park' it dosent find the address but if we put 'Park' it does . Is it possible to remove or deactivate the case-sensitive attribute from the search help. If so please advice how to do so .

Thanks in advance

Aarav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member194669
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Case sensitive

you need to look for domain of the field u are using in the search help

other wise you need to use search help exit to fetch data

15 REPLIES 15

former_member194669
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Case sensitive

you need to look for domain of the field u are using in the search help

other wise you need to use search help exit to fetch data

0 Kudos

In my search help I have used a table view which I have created , instead of a search help exit. Is theer a way out to make it case-insensitive other than using an exit?

Thanks

0 Kudos

I think without changing the domain its not possible.,

0 Kudos

I have used the pre-defined fields in my database view , will I be able to changethe domain for them for getting this accomplished or is it that I have to create another database view with user-defined fields in them and create my own fields and data elemet and domains from the scratch?

Kind help will be appprectaited.

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try this..

In the Z search help...there is a column called "Modified" next to the data element..Check this Modified column and change the data element to your new data element which has the new domain with case sensitive flag checked..

Hope this helps..

Thanks

Naren

0 Kudos

Hi !

Thanks for the advice but it would be a great healp if you could tell me where is this case -sensitive flag that I need to check on or off. I cannot see it .

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe I'm missing something, but table KNA1 already has upper case address fields for matchcode searches:

MCOD1

MCOD2

MCOD3

Rob

0 Kudos

Basically I want to make it case-insensitive . theer is aparticular field street 4 in my data base view which is not taking the value if its not in a particular case type and dosent show result , but when we put in the right case it dose show me the result so I created a new data elemnet and put it there but still I would like to knwo as to how do we make the data element case-inseitive the one that I created myself.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the database table it is stored case sensitive...And it is nothing to do with the screen of the search help...as mentioned earlier by a®s, you might have to use search help exit...to look for data for all cases..

Thanks

Naren

0 Kudos

I already have a search healp by address attributes DEBIX and thats why I ahd to create this new search help which is all teh same with addition of street 4 and street 5 , and using the same search help exit gives me the same selection screen which I dont want so I created a database view and used that in my search help to include the street 4 and street 5 in my search help selction screen . This is where i want it to take any case character and show me the result rather than asking for the same case to show result. Will it not be possible to turn off the case-sensitive off for a particulr field or create a new data elemnnt and switch off the case sensitive off.?

I just wanted to know if I can switch off the case sensitive for particulr data elent even if it is user defined.

thanks

0 Kudos

Hi !

SO if I have to use a search help exit , I shouwld have to create a new search help exit then or can I use any existing ones itseldf. As I said earlier my new search help is just a clone of a existing search help DEBIX with addition of two fields i.e stree4 and street 5 . Can anyone please tell me if I have to create a new exit or is there an existing one that I can use by adding street 4 and street 5 into it and using it in my search help ?

Please help out.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Data in the address fields is stored in the database in mixed case - both upper and lower case characters. You can see this by drilling down to the domain behind the database field's data element and seeing if the lower case checkbox is selected.

Search helps select data from the database using standard SQL and thus if you are searching based on the value in the field and it is mixed case then "AAbbCC" is not going to match "aabbCC". The search help may use views or similar, but the eventual action is a select of data from a database table.

To ignore case, you could use a search help exit function that selected records into an internal table based only on the other criteria speciffied, then did a translate to upper case on the relevant field(s) in this internal table, and then removed unwanted entries by matching with an upper case copy of the selection criteria input by the user. This could end up being very inefficient, especially if the user did not put values in any other criteria and the entire table was thus read.

The alternative SAP use is to have additional fields defined in the database that are specified as upper case only (eg MCOD1) and they place copies of data from the assigned fields (eg NAME1) into this field whenever the record is created or changed. Search helps can thus run against this extra field ignoring case.

In your case you could do several things.

- Create a Z-table with the same key as the SAP table, and populate it with upper case only versions of the relevant fields using a user exit / BADI / enhancement. Then join this to the table for your search help view. This way you could index the Z table based on your fields for improved efficiency.

- Add a customer append to the SAP table with upper case copies of the fields, and again populate them in user exits or similar.

- Use a user exit substitution on input / change to the records to convert the data in the relevant field(s)to upper case and always save it in this format. This does mean it would always print this way which may not be desired.

In all cases you may need a one-off conversion program to fill the correct values for existing records.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the explanation.

Is it possible to incorporate the two additional fields in the search help DEBIX or the search help exit it uses F4IF_SHLP_EXIT_CUSTOMER so that it can accommodate street 4 and street 5 or do I have to look for anothe r searcgh help exit , as my database view is not helping me bail out of the case-sensitive situtaion.

Please advice.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

0 Kudos

Hi Aarav,
Was your issue resolved?