cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal XI Report Viewer - Generating inconsistant SQL Results

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a Windows Application that uses the Crystal Reports XI Report Viewer and VB development.... each time a Report is executed and Results return, the amount of pages it resturns are different for the same amount of rows in the SQL Statements.

When Running a Report..... the report returns data Based on Client information linked to a company.

When the report runs, say for 20 clients, there shouls be about 40 pages ... 2 each per client.

Sometimes the reports would only print out 38 pages... sometimes 36... sometimes the correct pages.

Data never changes while reports are running.....

Is there a way to see where the data is being dropped while the reports are generating?

Thank You

Otto Beekman

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please provide the following information:

What Crystal reports SDK are you using? (RDC, CR assemblies for .NET?)

What version of VB are you using? (VB 6, .NET - what version - 2003, 2005...)

What version of Crystal Reports are you using (CR XI release 1 or CR XI release 2)

Have you applied the latest Service packs to your version of CR?

Is this happening on your development system or after you deploy the app?

Can you reproduce the same issue running the report in the CR designer?

Also, the following statement is rather vague:

"When the report runs, say for 20 clients, there should be about 40 pages ... 2 each per client.

Sometimes the reports would only print out 38 pages... sometimes 36... sometimes the correct pages."

20 clients, about 40 pages. In my mind, 38 pages is about 40 pages. Maybe I'm too loose with my definition of "about"? So, what I am trying to ask is, are you actually seeing missing data?

Finally, to answer your last question:

Is there a way to see where the data is being dropped while the reports are generating?

Not here is no way to do that.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Day Ludek

Thank you firstly for the quick response.

I am not the direct developer who developed the Report Viewer and Reports, so I am logging this call based on support information and partly understanding the development side of things.

We do not use a Crystal SDK.... which I know of.

The Reports were done in VB6.... and the reports are being executed on the user computers by using the Report Runtime components.... think which are the RDC components.

We are using Crystal XI ... first release... no Service Pack loaded on the server.... as the reports are executed from within a application using Runtime program. Not sure what version of the runtime program is in use... or if a service pack is updated in the Runtime... Is there a way to see what version and servicepack in the Runtime program?

Currently this problem being logged is also not happening everytime. Couple users have logged this... then when we go and test to run the Reports as well... it seems to be fine... Been very difficult to try replicate on the fly...

When running the Reports from within the Crystal Report Manager... we have not been able to Replicate the issue... but we could possibly continue testing.... till we might be ... but cannot afford spending too much time testing to somehow replicate...

The Crystal Report ... which is the Main Report... including sub-reports... runs and completes.... but somewhere in the process we are loosing data.

So then Main Report which does the reporting for all the Client Records completes with the correct amount of clients.... it seems that the sub-reports are loosing the data.

So the Report prints Client Records... to each client there are say Managers linked to them...and other info which are being dropped.

Hope this helps a bit to understand..

Thank You

Otto

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Otto:

I think it may quickly turn out that we discuss the issue with the developer. For now, my first steps toward resolution would be as follows:

1) Download the latest CR Service Pack on the development computer. The latest SP for CR XI r1 can be downloaded from here:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006008952008E/crXIwin_sp4.zip

2) Recompile the app

3) Create a new setup project with new CR runtime that reflects the SP. The new msm files are here'

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006009112008E/crXI_rdc_mm.zip

4) Next, I'd like to ensure that the report object is being destroyed once the app is done with it, particularly if you have a number of users (more on this below) or reports running (my_report = nothing).

The above would be basic changes to do before proceeding to more troubleshooting and understanding how the app actually works.

One clarification I'd like to have here, in case the above does not help. In your last post you say:

"...the reports are being executed on the user computers..."

"We are using Crystal XI ... first release... no Service Pack loaded on the server.... "

Those two statements are direct contradictions. Is the app on the user computers, or is it on a server?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek

I have downloaded the Latest Service Pack last night and installed the SP4 this morning on the Crystal Reports XI Server.

I will get the Developer to possibly recompile the Runtime with the latest SP included... not sure what the turn around time will be for that yet.

With regards to the Contradiction.... sorry for the confusion..

The Crystal Reports XI Manager, actual Report Developer program is installed on a Server for the Developers to use and customise Reports.

The Program that the user's use, they execute the Crystal Reports from within a application that uses the Crystal Runtime...... Hope this clears it a bit more.

So none of the users currently experiencing the problem is actually running the reports from within the Crystal Report Manager.

We have been unable to replicate the issue from within the manager..... and mostly from using the Runtime as well....

But the user's that are using the Runtime from within a program does report this error constantly.

Regards,

Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek.

Please can you supply a link to download a update from Crystal 11 to 11.5.

The developer provided feedback that when they build the package it was done using 11.5...

Then also... are there any Service Packs / hot fixes for 11.5..?

Can we also Upgrade the system from 11 Release 1 to Release 2 without Costs to purchase Release 2?

Thank You

Otto

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A free upgrade to CR XI release 2 is here:

http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/additional_downloads/service_packs/crxir2.asp

I highly recommend uninstalling the current CR XI release 1 and then use the keycode from release 1 to install release 2.

Once release 2 is installed, apply this Service Pack:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006255422008E/crxir2_sp4_inc.exe

The MSM files (runtime) that match the above SP and will need to be distributed to the client computers is here:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100009381702008E/crxir2sp4_rdc_mm.zip

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Day

We are still in the process of getting the clients Crystal installation upgraded to latest version.

The diffecult part is always to do this when deploying software to Production systems..... needs time to prep and test and approval.

Soon as the client approved changes... we will implement and update the server.

Let you know soon as we have done so.

Please can you confirm so long what the actual version number will be within Crystal "About" once we have installed the Release 2 Version?

Is Crystal XI Release 2 a version after 11.5?

Thank You

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Otto, it will be best if you can get the actual developer to get on this thread. Right now, what you are asking is essentially the same as going to a car mechanic and asking him to fix your car without looking at the engine. E.G.; since this app was written in VB 6, the app is using a Crystal reports SDK, namely (and most likely) the Report Designer Component (RDC). Also, if you do not have the latest Service Pack, that would be the first place to start. However delivering the SP to client computers is more involved than just downloading it and installing it on those computers.

Dropping of date is not a known issue with Crystal Reports. So getting the developer of this app on this thread will really be the way to go.

Ludek

Answers (0)