cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validation of Characteristic Values in IP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

for a special planning layout in IP we need a less restricted validation of characteristic values (analog to key figures option as described in OSS-Nr. 1121874), if there is no input value for one or more characteristic fields. The default IP validation accepts only the legendary '#'-sign as a non-input-value.

Is there any possibility to overrule the implemented validation ?

Has anybody tried it with the following methods:

1. Using the Check Method in the exit class for characteristic relationships in order to accept an empty characteristic field (e.g. switch empty field to '#' sign) ?

2. How can i preselect the '#'-sign in the respective empty characteristic fields in a new planning row as an alternative to 1. ? Preselection in the query does not work for a new planning row.

3. How can i hide columns with characteristics, that are not relevant for a special planning layout (dependent on certain values in a DSO) ?

I am looking forward to your substantial answers

Greets

Axel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Axel,

by means of characteristic relationships or other backend functionality you can not change this system behaviour since the check you mentioned is implemented in the front end layer. The 'only' change necessary would be to convince SAP (development request) that no input in an obligatory field (e.g. in new lines) will be interpreted as the initial value (external representation '#').

The validity of master data (master data table flag checked in RSD1) will be checked on the backend.

Technically the problem is that the system uses system ID for master data values at run time, i.e. for compounded characteristics in fact a SID has to be determined from empty fields, e.g. cost area 0001 in the filter and cost center # in the new line in fact is 0001/# (external format); this will not lead to SID = 0 but some value <> 0. Only when compounding parents can not be determined from the context in a unique way the end user has to enter the value.

Regards,

Gregor