Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Size of Param.1

sidnooradarsh
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to pass a hugh string of data into Param.1

But it appears that the Param.1 is truncating the string after some maximum character count or length is reached.

Is it limited to 256 or 1024 characters per Param something like this.

So, please someone suggest me whats the Maximum number of characters a Param can hold.

Regards,

Adarsh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adarsh,

Can you be a bit more specific about your situation? Is this an SQL Query and if so, what database are you connected to?

Thanks,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

the question from Adarsh also occurred to me, because I've set up an error log where I can place xml contens which caused an error.

I know that I can only insert value strings with size 4000 KB into my oracle field, so thats the limitation of the table. But is there a limitation of the Param.n values too? Or is it bound to the Java String class which has actually no limitation except the memory of the hardware?

Michael

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I suspect that his limitation is driven from the database side. If he is using a string type datatype in the database, finding the limits should be pretty easy (google!).

I have also run into a 4k limit when trying to populate a CLOB data type in Oracle, but my recollection is that was from the query template editor, but this was also version 11.5. From what I understand in my discussions with coworkers, there really should not be a limit within the action block itself.

Thanks,

Mike

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suppose it would also depend upon where/how Param.1 is being set: URL, JavaScript, BLS, etc. If an error happens you have to tunnel in from the error origination point, java console, trx, etc. but if the Param.x does make it all the way into the SQL Query and the request to the data source is sent through the JDBC driver then simply turning the Log Level to INFO will log the issued SELECT statement, and you should see [INFO] "Executing Query: SELECT......." in the logs.

Regards,

Jeremy

sidnooradarsh
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a hugh string of data which is comma de-limited.

and I am passing this to a BLS transactioin using setParam method something like this

var datastring = ".....,....,.."; (some hugh comma delimited string)

document.appletname.getQueryObject.setParam(1, datastring)

document.appletname.updateGrid(true);

This is what I am doing but it appears that my data string is getting truncated posssibly due to Param.n size.

Please suggest me any feasible solution or any other possible reason for truncation.

Regards,

Adarsh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont know about the truncation, but have you looked into letting the BLT get the data itself instead of passing it over the wire? Where does it come from?

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adarsh,

What did the logs show when you turned the level to INFO? At the very least, it can be used to show the size of what makes it through which may be informative.

Are there any special characters included the huge string passed to Param.1?

What are you doing with the string once it is in the transaction? Is this an update to previously retrieved data and can it be updated rather than overwritten?

Just some thoughts,

Mike