cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Visual Studio .net 5.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all

While upgrading our mobile 4.0 to 5.0/2007 the 2005 visual studio is said to be a mandatory prerequisite. Does this mean we need to buy a license for this? If so, is it possible to use the ms vs .net 2008 as well as the 2005 version seems to be difficult to get?

Regards, Kai

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kai,

It is necessary to use Visual Studio 2005(if you move to 5.0 SP09 or above) as there is a framework change to 2.0(.net framework 2.0).Hence it is mandatory.With regards to VS 2008 testing is still going on. Professional edition should do the trick for you.

Thanks,

Abishek

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kai,

yes, you will need to buy a license for the studio. In the install guide for 2007 SP2 it is mentioned that the following versions are supported:

Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2005 (Professional or Enterprise Edition)

Until 5.0 SP8 only version 2003 was supported. As it was quite obvious that even between 2003 an 2005 there was a big difference (concerning stability, plugin etc) I guess that 2008 won't work at all. At least it is not supported officially by SAP so far. Maybe Ankan can confirm this.

Regards,

Wolfhard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wolfhard

Thanks for the reply. Can you shine a light on which version I should buy? The professional is clear, but I can choose only between standard, professional and team suite, but not the 'Enterprise' which is mentioned in the upgrade guide. And since the pro version is quite a bit expensive is there a download / restricted test version also available to start with?

Regards, Kai

PS: Is it necessary to buy an EN version or would a DE version work fine as well?

Edited by: Kai Blanke on Sep 17, 2008 1:22 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have an installation of the professional version of studio .NET 2005 but honestly spoken I also don't have seen an enterprise version so far...

Whether standard version is enough I also don't have tested - maybe an (official) OSS message would help and give security.

In any case I would prefer the english version, not the german one.

Regards,

Wolfhard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wolfhard

Thanks so far. Apparently one has to buy the 2008 version and with the license key one can download the former version from MS as well -> 2.9 GB

The standard version is not sufficient according to the upgrade guide, so unfortunately we need to spend three times the money for the pro version ...

Regards, Kai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

this is even a bigger rip-off as SAP is doing... )

The main reason for moving from SAP-MAS to MS-Studio was that VB6 is not longer supported, therefore it has to be migrated to VB.NET.

And as I already mentioned there are some inconsistencies and incompatibilities between MS studio .NET 2003/2005 und most likely also 2008.

Regards,

Wolfhard